1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what do you think the best fish food is?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jun 9, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Best fish food?

I do a varied diet consisting of:
    Hikari Algae wafers
    Hikari Brine Shrimp & live brine shrimp when I can get it
    Tetra BabyShrimp
    TetraMin Tropical Flakes/TetraColor Tropical Flakes
    Frozen Bloodworms
    French Cut Greenbeans (for the baby bristlenoses)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Seems that nobody uses Mysis shrimp. They are relatively good. I say relatively because there are several issues:

Messy. They are shrimp so don't have a rigid body. The parts of their body get separated easily and floats in water. Big fish don't care about those small parts (legs, hands, eyes, etc! ).

Acceptance. Some fish don't consider Mysis as a valid food source! My 6-weeks old Guppies look at them as dead inmates and don't even touch them. Seems many fish are not crazy about them as much as they like bloodworms. Most of my angels like them fortunately.

But there are many good points:

Cleanliness. They are relatively clean product. They are small shrimp anyway and look like a smaller version of shrimp used for human food. They are white and the best thing they don't smell bad at all.

Nutrition. I've read that they are a good source for nutrition.

3. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

see i can't really say what the best food is because it's all about variety.........somedays it's flakes and others is meaty foods.......i think there's no fish food out there that has a complete package.......you want your fish to be healthy? buy them all.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Both valid reasons!

5. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i use mysis.....of course all of my 75 cleaners handle all those lil' bits that drift to the bottom......

6. PetsGoRound

PetsGoRound New Member

check out Kensfish.com I have gotten quality food from them for a long time and LOTS to choose from.

Jason

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I recently started using massivore delight and carnivore sinking pellets and my fish love them!

8. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

I personally use a large varied diet. My fish health and coloration, well view the fish photo and my post to see them speak for them selves

List Includes:
    NLS .05 pellets Color/Grow
    Daphnia
    Mysis Shrimp
    Puree'd Shrimp/Zucchini Mix (my Mix)
    Ken's Spirulina flake
    Ken's Spirulina w/ Natrose
    Pure Zucchini 1x weekly (stuck on a fork.)

This is my mix i use. I do not use Danichi. I lost 3 tanks of peacocks just over a year ago from a "bad batch". the ammonia spike was over a 1200% increase not even 3 minutes after feeding. I won't talk down about them as alot have great results. I didn't. My water is checked before and after both daily feedings both for spikes and drops. A friend of mine from Joliet IL had ordered food the same time I did, and lost a 75 full of Demasoni. as I said though, I do know alot who use it with no trouble, I just won't take the chance again.

9. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

Ken's is a good source, IMO Jehmco is even better. I buy their Veggie Graze Flake, which is mainly spirulina, for $18.25/kilo. Everybody can eat that, and I supplement with frozen brines. Sinking algae wafers for all those big synos, at $15.00/2 lb. They also carry the Dainichi products; not sure how the prices compare, but they're so reasonable on the other stuff.......
    And just good folks to deal with.

10. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

I've started using spectrum on recommendation of our buddy at Azealea, and the fish seem to like it. I've been feeding it to some juvenile JD's and Jewels, and they are growing pretty good, with great color.

11. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

I love Massivore Delight for my Red Tail. He gets thawed squid or fish one night a week, and Massivore Delight one night a week. But it is SO EXPENSIVE. Thirty dollars a bag around here. I really like Hikari products, but when it comes to frozen food I use San Francisco Bay Brand. Their Freshwater Roll-A-Pak costs around twenty bucks (got it on sale yesterday for 14) and is huge, with a good selection of foods.

12. fllszbrnc

fllszbrnc New Member

I have had good results with Spectrum as my main food, but like others have said variety of foods is your best bet.

13. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

I use NLS foods, as well as Omega One, since if you read the ingredients the first thing you see is whole fish, etc., rather than wheat meal, corn starch, etc. like many of them do. Read the ingredients. I also have several Sera foods that are very good. I feed a variety of different things. Ken's is very good food, too.

I also feed frozen bloodworms and shrimp, and the spirulina/shrimp mixture. The shrimp themselves are not terribly nutritious. I have to use bloodworms for my dwarf puffers, as that and tiny snails are the main part of their diet.

I have recently developed an allergy to bloodworms! This is no joke. My reaction is quite severe, but if I hold my breath when popping the cube into a cup, then immediately wash my hands, and avoid touching the water that I mix the worms with to thaw them, then I do okay most days. My eyes will tear and swell up, red rimmed, I sneeze uncontrollably, and basically feel like I have the flu if I am not careful. If you have other allergies (like I do) then you may want to be careful handling them. Some people can't even open a freezer that contains the package, so I consider my reaction relatively mild, lol.

14. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

i use a lot of hikari frozen foods and wafers. my fiish eat it and are doing fine. tetra flakes to help balance the diet because most flakes are a rounded food