1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what fish do I have?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by crazyvato, Mar 8, 2010.

1. crazyvato

crazyvato Thread Starter New Member

Hi' I got this fish as a present but I don't know what kind is it, I had 2 electric blue Jack Dempsy and they got kill by this guy.

2. crazyvato

sorry here are the pics
    DSCN1260.JPG DSCN1258.JPG

3. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

It looks laterally compressed, which makes me think perhaps its a cross with parrot cichlid. Its not unusual for South American cichlids to be crossed, which is how the flower horn cichlid is made. If the cross includes midas cichlid or red devil it would explain the incredible aggression. I would class it as a flower horn of some sort, which is fish that needs to be kept alone. The fin looks pointed like a male, but that's not an absolute tell of gender. Definately figure out what kind of fish you have next time before you add it to your tank.

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Possibly a Red Devil, Midas cross.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what I thought HBIC.

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

It for sure has the head shape of a red devil.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's for sure !

8. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

He doesn't have the right head shape for a red devil or a midas. Their heads kinda shrink in comparison to their bodies. This guy's head flows right along with the body shape. I think he's got an oscar mouth and eye position. Red devils have freakishly long heads and huge lips, but a relatively small mouth slit that's centered and straight. Oscars' mouths slant downward like that. Either way I still think its a mix of South American cichlids.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They normally have an indent, yes. But when you're dealing with hybrids that's not the case every time.

10. crazyvato

thanks all for your help! I'm tying to track down the place where my friend bougth it from, and find out what kind of mix this guy is. he is the only one left in the tank, all death now.