1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What I have been up to with my 46 gallon bow front.. :oD

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, so I had my tank in a beautiful spot, but even with blinds and curtains it just got too much afternoon sun through the windows. I needed to find somewhere to keep it where it would get less light.

All done with a nontoxic polymer clay. Had a friend of mine run some lab tests to make sure it wouldn't release chemicals, absorb water, deteriorate, etc...

Anyhow, less talk, more show... Here's what I have done with my tank~
    100_4550.JPG 100_4553.JPG

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh, and we got the console tv off CL, free. Gutted it, reinforced the bottom and shaved the plastic edges to exactly meet with the front of the tank. We used a piano hinge for the top of the console, once we removed it from the base, to make it easy to take care of.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's really neat looking. The only thing I would worry about is the underground filter.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It's under the astro turf. I slit the turf and made sure that I have good circulation...

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh, and those are actual pictures of our family on the wall. I also have a pic of our dog, The James River from Belle Isle, Maymont's Japanese Gardens and Tom, the fish that started my love for fish keeping!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

My concern is about removing the waste. Underground filters generally allow waste to do nothing but build up because they're generally not easily cleaned, or the owner (not saying you specifically) doesn't bother to clean them.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I was wondering if I needed it. Do you think my vacuum will be enough? It's kind of too late now.. :eek:/

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It may suck the waste back up through the astroturf, it may not. I'd put a cap on the white part the tube is connected to and just throw a HOB filter on the tank.

9. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I love this tank :)

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

whole set up looks really good.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

that is a great looking setup.
    I love it when people think out of the box!
    Just awesome imo!
    I agree on the undergravel filter...they are a pain in the butt and allow the muck to build up beneath them>>very hard to clean ime.

12. Aironia

Aironia New Member

very original and personalized. i like it. would be neat to see a crab on that couch :)

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I was thinking a pair of snails...and some snail babies upstairs in the bed :)

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

very intresting

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Dawn, You got alot of fantasy :)
    So you actually have pictures of your family in the fish tank? Now that's what I call original, neverheard or sean of anything close to that :eek:

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks guys, for the comments and for checking out the pics. I had SO MUCH fun doing this, it took a couple of months from start to finish.. It's really all about the laughs, lol...

My mothers bf is sculpting a console TV that looks just like the one the fishtank is in for inside the fishtank.. He is an awesome artist so it should come out great.

Also, there are kuhli loaches in the closet, a knife fish under the bed and ghost shrimp under the couch and coffee table... Teeeheheeee.

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Did he help you with creating the other parts as well? It looks great :)

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Nope, I did the rest. ....Except for the bookshelf, my boyfriend made that and the rug at the bottom of the stairs, my daughter made that. Oh! and the candle on the bookshelf, my son made that.

19. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well It looks really creative. So your family must have the touch in them :)

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks! That's super nice of you to say!!!