1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what is a bio ball and what is its usage beneficial for?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by WarthogWilly, Aug 28, 2009.

1. WarthogWilly

WarthogWilly Thread Starter New Member

Can somebody please explain to me what a bio ball is, to me it looks like a plastic toy a cat would bat around, I can never find info on them, its like everybody else in the world was born knowing what one was.....except for me!

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

In a nutshell....that's exactly what it is...a toy for a cat to play with. ;)

seriously though..it is ball that is specially made to create additional surface space for BB to grow on. That's all. Kinda like the...oh...what are they called...koosh balls...something like that.

3. WarthogWilly

so its just a ball that floats around in your tank thats basically a house for good bacteria, is this something I should get? right now I have nothing other than caves, fake plants,gravel and a filter that bacteria can house on, so should i maybe get something??/????//

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

your spot on about the ball-->It goes in the filter if your filter is able to "accept/take" that particular type of media.

Some can only "take" cartridges...canisters can pretty much "take" anything.

What type of filter do you have and what is running in it media wise?

5. WarthogWilly

i have an old beast penguin hang over the back filter that runs through a mechanical/biological/chemical premaid insert fliter pad, other than that nothing else, no sponge or nothing like that......

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

You don't need to use with your set up. They are mainly used in sumps.

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Here a HOB filter load with Bio balls you get no mechanical filtering with this srt-up but doesn't clog

Rick
    100_1121 (640x479).jpg