1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What Kind of Plants Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by eeyipes, Jun 30, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

What kind of live plants do you have? Where did you get them? What's your lighting/substrate/CO2 setup like?

I have a low tech, lowlight plant setup, just a pair of T5 lights and only about 1.3 watts per gallon. But the anubias, guppy grass, and peacock moss is healthy and growing. Later this week I'm adding some Java Fern and African Water Fern.

The live plants at my local fish store are unidentifyable, algae encrusted, slimy stumps in pots. :eek: So I get all my live plants online, either from forum friends or ebay. So far the plants I've received have been healthy and great looking.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I only have plants in my Endler tank.

I have some java moss, java fern (small and large types), and a few others that I can't remember right now.

My lighting consists of 64watts CP over the 20 gallon tank. I had a DIY co2 system in the tank but it made no difference. I do dose with Flourish Excel though. Other than that the plants don't get any ferts or special treatment. Oh, they're planted in crushed coral.

Some of my java fern I got from a LFS. Everything else I got online from someone.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i got a high tech tech tank with 4 t5 bulbs. 2 6700k and 2 plant gro bulbs from coralife. im growing these plants:

Phyllanthus fluitans
    Echinodorus tenellus 'Micro'
    Echinodorus tenellus 'Narrow'
    Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
    Hygrophila sp. 'Porto Velho'
    Cabomba furcata
    Heteranthera zosterfolia

i love scientific (Latin) names :eek: :D

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL use those and make us look like beginners.

5. eeyipes

Ah, but can you pronounce those latin gibberish ... err .... names? ;)

6. gamerout

gamerout New Member

When I caught this turtle I brought a lot of the local vegetation with him. He seems to enjoy it (as food) so I think I will take a trip to the lake every now and then to fill up and bring it in.

7. eeyipes

What will you do in winter for vegetation?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I just got some java moss, java fern, swords, and today I went to petco and they had just gotten a new shipment in and I got a HUGE swordplant thats bueatiful in the back of my planted. I also got a combo pot that has a few different plants in it that are really helping me fill some holes in my planted tank. I will post some pics at the end of the week when the tank should be close to "complete"!

9. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I have wysteria, java fern, java moss and I don't remember the name of the other 2. If anyone has to much Java moss let me know. I could use some more.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I've got a low tech low light set up going on in a 10 gallon. I use those little spiral lights, cfls? so its like 2wgp or something like that, maybe a bit more. I'm really just winging it with the plants but some how they grow very nicely. I got them from a member on another forum for very cheap and its amazing how great they look.

I have some kind of moss, probably java? and some java farn, hornwort? I think... more maybe its the other wort... it floats, I know that much! and I have some swords and vals and some other plant that I can't remember but it has some very nice red leaves, lol

When I remember to I put some kind of liquid fertilizer in when I do water changes, and thats about it!

aimg154.imageshack.us_img154_8390_fts3iz8.jpg

thats an older picture, I have a moss wall growing in the back of the tank, thats why it looks funny and I moved some of the plants out of there and changed things up a bit. I love my little planted tank though :)

11. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

lokks nice spock!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Looks great!

13. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I see some nice Java Fern in your tank. The tank looks really nice.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks! This tank was the last one to set up, I started out with SW and then decided to start a nice 10 gallon planted tank a month or two ago. I love it a lot and really want to start a bigger planted tank now :)

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's a nice looking planted tank. ;)

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i have java fern and bamboo

17. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Hygrophilia (5 plants in 1 month turned into 10 as each is growing another plant from the root area)
    Cabomba (This stuff is great. It breaks and replant... doubled my stock in a month and all growing well)
    Amazon Swords (2 for now 1 tall one and 1 short one)
    Tall Anubias (1 in the back corner)
    Java Fern (tons of this, started with 5 plants now have over 30)
    Aponogetons (1 grown and added some new bulbs)
    and Water Lilly bulbs (about 6, see if they work in my tank I tried before and they did not)

18. yikesjason

yikesjason New Member

I have some Anubius and lace java ferns growing on wood, a little bit of wisteria and a couple of other odds and ends.
    I got some of my plants off craigslist and then I got a bunch a a local fish club meeting. That is the way to go. The club has an auction each meeting and the plants and fish sell really cheap.

19. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

No fish club here in Richmond Va :confused: Wish there were one though

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Startone lemon, I am sure there are other people thinking the same thing!