1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What kind of pleco is this?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by nossie, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep I agree.

2. nossie

nossie Thread Starter Member

I have been looking at pictures in various books, and as far as I've seen, the common pleco has different markings, far smaller spots and no white edge along the tail. Which is why I couldn't decide the species.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Common is a name given to a very wide group of species so searching through "common" may be futile.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

he chimed in on the last 3 pics you posted.

"That my friend is a Gibbecep. Also known as a Red high fin plec, leopard plec, Hi-fin Gibby. Thats a liposarus paradilis.

This one in particular.... doesn't look like its got a very high fin....although it will still be a high fin...because they all are...just some have a bigger dorsal than others.

Regards
    Mark."

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

"Ohhh My bad...given you the wrong L/number ....the number for a Gibbiceps is L083/L165 Pterygoplichthys Gibbiceps.

I know why I gave you Paradilis ....because I now remember that there was a muck up in the L/number Aqualog... the pics were wrong and caused loads of debate....A bit like the L318 and 411 debate.... (L318 doesn't exist...it is L411) lol.

Any way sorry about that....get your buddies to look up pics for L083 or L165

Regards
    Mark."

I think its been identified fully. i looked up the L083 and its a dead-on and looks identical to the L165 which is the same fish.

6. nossie

nossie Thread Starter Member

That sounds better! :D I tried posting the pics on plecoplanet as well and everyone there said that it's a Gibby for sure! :)
    I saw some pics there too on the pleco profiles, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the same. There were pics of juveniles and some adults, and yep, that's my guy!

Thanks a lot for all your help :)

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

I know he registered yesterday because he tried to reply to this and was waiting for his acceptance email from the site.