1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What kind of setup do African Cichlids need

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

So i've looked on craigslist, and found a 43 gallon show tank that i really like for an AWESOME price, and if it is available i will most likely put African Cichlids in it. So what kind of decor do they need? And for the bottom i'm thinking about black rocks to bring out their color

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Rocks, slates, hides, hides, hides. No plants or either waxy, tough ones they wont eat.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

so i'm thinking about black rock and rocks for hiding places? And if i do end up getting this tank it's a 43 gal show tank so it will be a short 60 gal tank, would rocks be to tall?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

texas holey rock is great for them, they love to "play" in sand and the black sand by caribsea is really nice as far as sands go and if you put a black background on it will give you the false depth perception (plus most in tank equip is black and can also be hid very well, heck..theirs even black airline tubing). As stated before--tons of places to hide (think nooks and crannys, caves and alcoves)>>just make sure everything is secure and won't fall over and crush them...mine loved to constantly rearrange things to their liking.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Ok, where did you see this? I have been looking for black tubing for like 2 months now and practically gave up!

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

haha ok, it probably wont be another 2 weeks until i can pick up a tank since my parents will be gone. So that really gives me ideas for planning the decore, i'm going to slowly setup the tank before any fish go in. And i'm planning on doing a black theme as far as sand goes, and would a black background work? oh and can you guys put up some pics of your tanks so i can get ideas for my future setup.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You can get black sand off ebay for super cheap. Shipping is reasonbly priced as well.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, ill check petco and petsmart first and if i don't find any i'll do ebay, which i've never bought anything off of there before

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=7324</a> ;)

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you Anthony, i'll bookmark that page, since that's what i want for the bottom, it will still be at least another week or so since my parents are gone this weekend and next and i'll need them to help transport it, but i'll order that when i get the new tank. Since i'm planning on getting a used tank, would i need to cycle it still or should it be ok since i'm sure any of the used tanks have been running for a while

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You will need to cycle the tank, well it will cycle. I wouldn't use any of their filter media or anything.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, when i eventually get a tank i'll need to know info about cycling since i know nothing about it

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

kk i'll check it out, thank you

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

16. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Can you guys look at the tank's that i'm interested in buying in the general discussion. I have 2 that i really like, but i'm not sure.