1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What kinds of small fish would work with a beta

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

What kinds of small fish would work with a beta
    Recentley i have been wanting to put some small fish with my beta. He is in a 5 gal hexagon with one large plant. And my only issue is, is there is no room for a heater, so i don't know what other fish can go without a heater. The coldest that i've seen the temp go down to is between 74-72 during the day and up to 86 and 84. And i'm not sure what the temp goes down to at night. What other types of small fish would be able to handle this?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

is it a male or female betta?
    Honestly that's too small to add anything else.
    But if you insist I would guess either a snail (ie. mystery snail) or shrimp (ie. ghost shrimp) should be okay. But beware, the betta may pick at either of them...I had one years back that was hell of a mean!

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i have no idea :/ is there an easy way to tell? And if there isint any room for any more fish i guess i can live with him being by himself. Lol it's kinda sad, i ave two fish tanks in my room, a 20 and a 5 and only 1 fish in each

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Males have all the color and fancy finnage, their more common and easier to find. The females are usually duller in color, smaller, and don't have the long flowy finnage.
    I couldn't do a tank with only one thing in it--that would drive me nuts and make me want to add more..Lol. I'm constantly adding something or moving this or that.
    Sounds like you need something bigger like a 55 that you can put a variety into>>then you could get one of those holders and stick the betta in it--that if its a male, if it's female more times than not they can mix right into a community tank.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i think my betta is a male, he's really pretty and has different shades of colors, such as light purple, blue, burgandy, he's got spots on his head, i can't tell what color they are but i think its red, and long fins. Lol and i want to get a bigger tank but there is not enough room in my bedroom and i wouldn't be able to afford it, lol along with my parents being REALLY REALLY MAD at me for getting another tank, and lol lastly what kind of fish would survive with a puffer? Lol so thats why i have to suffer with 2 fish.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You can keep a betta in a community tank, just as long as its the only male in the tank. Its complete blasphem that they should be kept alone in the tiny tank you can find. Given enough space, plants, and shade all is well.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

That's definately a male betta you have, and I hear ya about not having enough room...I took the last corner of the house for my 90g and I'm still hearing the gripes about it (moreso because of all of the electrical equip & water changes)..Lol! Theirs nothing that I know of that will work with a puffer?
    Sorry :(

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So a couple of small fish like something like tetras would work? Even without a heater. I probably wouldn't get anymore than 5 of them as i know the tank is small. And with the betta alone he seems to enjoy the size of it. Although i have found him down sitting at the rocks and not swimming which i think is odd. Then he perks right up

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Haha yea, i don't even think there would be enough room for a 30 gal, lol and i would have to get a new stand too and all the lights and filters and everything else would deff be much more expensive. :D but my dream tank would be a 125 gal with georgeous corals and brightly colored fish

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I tried keeping males in large sized community tanks before, never worked.
    No matter what I stuck the boys in with they would end up having their fins nipped at. But then again, that's just me...and each fish does have its own personality. And I agree about it being bs when it comes to bettas being kept in those tiny cups in the petstores without a heater or anything. They definately do better in a larger size tank with some plants and a heater in my experience with them.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It really sucks to own a puffer, as much as i love mine. But i hate how that they are so agressive that not one thing can live with them in a smaller size tank like mine. Even when he's only 2 inches.