1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What plants are these?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by California Cowgirl, Mar 6, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

What plants are these?

so i saw this video <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fK0CB5xYM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fK0CB5xYM</a> on youtube, and i'm liking the look of the tank. Any idea what kind of plants they have in there

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The big one on the right is a sword plant, probably Amazon Sword. The one on the left in the back is Water Sprite. I'm not sure on the other 2-3.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Far right is Sword plant, left corner is wisteria/water sprite, and to the left front I think I spot a java fern in the mix. Hard to tell (poor quality vid)

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

hmmmm.....I'll agree with the amazon. Hard to tell but I think the one you say is Water Sprite is actually Wisteria. Looks like Java Moss on the right wall and maybe some in the back. In front of what I think is Wisteria, looks to be a Java Fern.

5. California Cowgirl

if i were to do big plants like that would it be easier for me to maintain a tank with me being a beginner. But i don't know if i would make it as crowded as that tank but similar and maybe with some dwarf hairgrass in the front?

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

Most of those that are in there are low light, low maintence plants. The dwarf hairgrass will need higher light.

7. California Cowgirl

ok, tonight i'll try to find the wattage size on my light when i turn the lights off i know my 5 gallon is a 10 watt

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I wouldn't put Amazon Sword in a small tank, they get huge.

9. California Cowgirl

ok, maybe i'll just do a mix of some big, and small, plants because the layout that i want to have, is have tall and somewhat bushy plants along the back and on the sides, and have shorter plants in the middle area plus a piece of drfitwood or rock

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

what size tank are you scaping?

11. California Cowgirl

i'll be doing a 10 and a 5, my 5 will have to have some different plants than my 10 gallon, since it's mainly a frog tank with 1 fish and i want to meet there needs and i was thinking for them at least getting some of the nana type of plants or whatever they are, the small big leaf plant

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

Some Anubias petite would work. Java fern is always a good option for a nice bushy look. You could also plant some pennywort. Various crypts..wendtii red would add a splash of color.

13. California Cowgirl

would the wendtii red work without a co2 system, as i'm wanting to do low tech and low maitenence plants, but i would love some color it would work

14. California Cowgirl

and i think the pennywort would be great for the frogs, and help them up to the surface for air

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

Yeppers. I have several in a 46g without Co2. I had to split it not too long ago. Wound up with 10 plantings after the split.

What substrate? If dark, even bronze crypts would be nice.

16. California Cowgirl

i don't have subtrate yet, but im trying to find subtrate that's as cheap as possible but yet at the same time being healthy for the plants

17. James0816

James0816 New Member

For an idea of how bronze would look against a dark substrate, look at my post in the Trading Post section. There are a couple in that picture on the right.

18. California Cowgirl

wow! it looks awesome! im thinking of the subtrate that dawn suggested was eco complete, but it's seems kind of expensive :/

19. James0816

James0816 New Member

It is a tad on the pricey side. Good for plants though. I use SMS (Soil Master Select). The only issue with that is that they come in large bags.

20. California Cowgirl

so long the stuff is at a low/decent price i mind the size of the bag, especially since i'll be doing 2 tanks, i may even add some aquatic plants for my toads