1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what plants do you get from the Wal-mart plant bulbs?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

help
    OK I'm wondering if any of you know any thing about the bulb plant you can get at walmart. There is only two types of plants I think, the water Lilly and another one. does any one know the name of the other one??

this is the one other plant I have besides my two java ferns.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I can tell you they are aponogeton varieties for sure.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea I know now I just had a hard time finding them on walmart's website, although I'm wondering how do you get more of this things?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm confused? You mean your looking for more Bulbs at a place other than Wal-mart?
    Or are you looking for the actual Plant that the bulbs produce?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm confused too.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

No I'm ask how do I get more plants from my one plant.

Only one of the 5 or so bulbs sprouted.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Is that still too confusing???

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

That's because they are ...umm what's the word/words i'm looking for...Wally world crap..their the words finally came! Woot Woot!
    The aponogeton bulbs have a better chance at growth in comparison to the lillies.

A bit of borrowed wisdom on the aponog.: these plants require an dormant period once a year. If you see a plant seemingly dying - remove it from the tank, wrap it in wet newspaper, place it in a plastic ziploc baggy, and put into a dark cool place (basement) for 3-4 weeks. After that period the plant can be returned to the tank where it will grow again!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

If they didnt grow you can send them to the distrubutor and get replacement bulbs

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

T.T OK I still am confusing you guys, but thanks for the dorment thing i didn't know that.

OK I'll my question one more time.

OK for a java fern new smaller plants grow and come off for the mother plant, which you can plant and it becomes a separate plant.

How do you get more bulbs or separate plants from just one plant??

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

OK for the dormant period, how do you pervent mold from growing, and what should you do if you don't have a basement, where would a good place be.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Ziploc should prevent mold, secondly if you don't have a basement....hmm...bottom of refrigerator with cardboard over the top of the ziplock baggy creating a darkness would be my best guess?
    -->Is in the city where almost every home has a cold dark dungeon of a basement :)

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

did you read my last post on the last page??

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Okay, maybe I'm just tired but if your asking how to seperate the daughter plants from the mother plants like on a java fern, but with the aponog. and lily bulbs? Am I close to being on the right track here?

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

kind of, I'm asking how does this plant make an offspring plant, like does the flower become a bulb, or something like that.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

The flower does not revert to a bulb.
    Thought of a better way to store dorm. for ya---egg carton and fill with some potting soil to provide the dark and cool... & store in bottom of refrigerator.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

OK thanks for the storing help, but if the flower doesn't revert to a bulb then how do you get more bulbs from the main plant? It not like the seller are able to pull bulbs out of thin air in or to sell them.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

rhizome, flowers can be fertilized by gently brushing inflorence with your fingertip. Most times this can/will produce seeds (proving fertilization has occured) along the stalk of the flower....the stalk will eventually break down releasing the seeds enabling them to free float in the tank. The seed will drop to the bottom of the tank where it splits open and regerminates.

Is this the information you are looking for? To sum it up if you fertilize the inflorence it will result in the birth of seed that eventually regerminates.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks that what I was looking for, Thanks a Bunch. OK two more Questions.

if you let the plant flower and grow seeds will it die or will it continue to grow, or would it need to go in to a dormant state for a while before it will grow again?

do you need two plants to get seed??

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Once it seeds will it die or continue to grow...or possibly need to go into a dormant state to regrow???
    I am unsure when it comes to this, my thinking would lead me to the plant would either die or enter a dormancy like state...but again, I am unsure when it comes to this question that you have posed.

Do You need two plants to get a seed??
    Answer: NO, you can SELF pollenate (although it may not always prove successful) by gently brushing inflorence with your fingertip.
    -->For best results I'd remove the flower with the seeds left attached to it and place it in something like an empty quarantine tank that has good substrate with good nutrients and good overhead lighting...basically somewhere it CAN'T be disturbed or eaten.