1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what plants do you get from the Wal-mart plant bulbs?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

hahaha thanks for the help.

2. yikesjason

yikesjason New Member

I bought the Walmart Lilly bulbs and they didn't sprout. So I sent them back and they sent me about twice as many as I had in the first place and almost every one of the new bulbs sprouted.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

They never sprouted for me either... but I never sent them back... maybe I should have :confused:

4. overlordkain

overlordkain New Member

I've bought 3 packages of these, and i would say they have a 25-40% chance of actually germinating. Not the best odds, but it is fun to watch them grow from nothing. I would suggest figuring out exactly how many you have, and putting them all in one small area so you can monitor them and remove the duds after a while.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just bought a package of these from Petco and I stuck them in a glass jar of tank water on my windowsill. There was one large bulb, looks almost like an onion, and then about a dozen small ones that look like tiny miniature coconuts.

Within 24 hours, the big bulb had several roots and a green sprout on top, and several of the smaller ones have roots.

After three days, the big bulb has a three inch green sprout so I put it in my big tank. Most of the small ones have sprouts, but there are about 4 that never sank to the bottom and don't appear to be growing.

I didn't expect them to grow at all. The package had zero instructions and didn't even say what kind of plants they are. It just said that if they don't sprout, send them back for a replacement. Pfft. The entire package was like $3 so I probably wont bother, but I'm kind of impressed that most of them appear to be doing well.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

normally if I remember right they are aponogetons or lilys.
    The ones that didn't grow probably needed to be placed in partial substrate leaving the tops exposed and higher light.

7. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

i like lillies :)

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yes i have and i have two young ones sprouting and growing but i've bought 3 packs. but on the back they say if a bulb fails to sprout to send it with the receipt to them and they'll send you a replacement bulb. im going to do that. but they're ereally good but cut the floweres off so they won't go into dorment and grow some more. :)

9. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

lol,glad to see i was not the only one thinking that eeyipes !!