1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what the heck... one of my cichlids has pop eye

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by phishin, May 5, 2009.

1. phishin

phishin Thread Starter New Member

Random, wake up this morning and one of the Acei's has what appears to be popeye... his belly seems to be bulging a tad as well. Any idea's ? Is he pretty much a goner??

Parameters as of 5 minutes ago.
    pH - 8.2
    Ammonia Level - 0
    Nitrite Level - 0
    Nitrate Level - 20
    Water Temperature 79
    Tank Size 54
    I give a thorough vacuum once a week taking about 25-30 % of the water each time. Prime every single water change/cleaning.

I tried google and they say it can be savedd, but will retain the bulging.... anyone?

2. phishin

hmm... after retesting cause i couldn't tell the nitrate level,it seems to be in between 10-20. i wish api had in between numbers :)

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Move him/her to their own take and treat the tank with broad spectrum antibacterial meds. I'd use Maracyn and Maracyn Two to treat both gram negative and gram positive infections.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

How's your fish doing phishin?

5. phishin

no longer with us. i put him in the Q tank, and went out in search of the meds anthony mentioned. after a an all day search i finally found a lfs that had maracyn 2. i got back home late in the evening and he was floating on the top, barely alive. i followed directions on package, but by the morning he was dead.
    whatever it was hit him quick. the rest of my fish are all fine.

6. BobV

BobV Member

I believe popeye is a secondary symptom of an underlying bacterial infection. You probably didn't get the meds to it in time.