1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article What To Do In A Power Failure

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by jinglesrr, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jinglesrr

jinglesrr Thread Starter Member

I would prefer to not buy a bunch of expensive equipment in advance, if not needed, but am wondering how long my fish (twenty gallon tank) could survive in a power failure? I have thirty Cardinal tetras, two black tetras, three large Red Eyed tetras, two Bolivian and one German Ram, and assorted dwarf catfish. I also am over-run with red lotus plants as well. It is a happy well-cycled tank and we are not prone to power shortages in the winter since we are on a hospital grid but occasionally there may be a loss of power for a few hours or so.

I currently keep two heaters in the tank, an air stone, two exterior filters that use a combination of sponge, charchol, and those white pellets to clean and polish the water and my chemistry is prestine.

Thanks for any input you could give!

Ruth

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

If a power lose of a few hours is the longest you think you may get then I wouldn't worry about having a backup plan.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

charcoal? (that'll only remove medicines and keep the water from smelling...which in a healthy tank shouldn't).
    I think the white pellets you're referring to is Purigen (if so, good stuff)!

Sounds like your a bit overstocked, but in a power failure you could simply employ battery operated oxygenators (normally found in the fishing ailse in stores such as Kmart and Walmart since they are used to aerate your live fishing bait).
    The ones I have operate on 2 D-cell batteries and simply have a piece of airline attached to nipple and at the end of the airline is an airstone. I paid $5.88 at the time for each one of mine, but that was a good while back.

As far as how long a particular tank will last without air, that all depends on sooo many factors (ie. previous tank temp, current temp that it'd be dropping to, how many fish since they'd be the ones requiring the oxygen, etc) that I don't think a single person would be able to say exactly how long you have before things start going belly up.

The more expensive route would be a backup generator, but here are some other options also..
    http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/emerge ... utages.htm

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

If you are worried about oxygenating the water you can always simply swish your hand through the water a few times. I do this when my power goes out and I haven't lost a fish, granted the longest was only two hours.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm in the city, I've had power outtages vary from just a few minutes...to an entire day :(
    I find the battery operated oxygenators give me the best piece of mind for the amount of $ spent.

Plus if you find your tank temperature dropping (I keep a warm water tank 86F for discus/community planted tank) I simply insulate it by wrapping a comforter around it :)

EDIT-->
    Aquarium Problems Chart & Solutions

6. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Buy a battery operated air pump, and if you think it's going to be a while until the power comes back on, wrap your tank with blankets ( to minimize heat loss), and turn on the pump(s).

Since I bought a generator 3 years ago, we haven't experienced a power outage that required me to run any tanks with it...

7. jinglesrr

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! Sounds like they would be okay for a few hours anyway, and since we are on the same power grid as a near-by hospital, the power probably would not be off more than that. It has taken me so many years to finally get my tank stabalized, I would hate anything to go wrong now.

Ruth

Ruth

8. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

They also sell portable power packs. Use it to jump start your car or it has a couple of places to plug in cords. They only last a few hours but you can keep the air going and maybe a heater. I have 40 tanks so my only option is a good generator. Which will be coming with tax money. Forgot you have to keep it charged in order to use it. I just leave one in my garage plugged into the charger.

Jeff

9. jinglesrr

Thanks!

Ruth