1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what type of fish you keep & what you're feeding them?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Just curious to find out what types of food others are feeding their aquatics being the market is flooded with multiple brands (of course, all claiming to be the best).

In my discus community tank I feed a variety throughout the day of

Frozen Foods:
    Hikari brand Frozen bloodworms,frozen spirulina brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, frozen mysis and the san franciso bay brand frozen freshwater variety pack/freshwater frenzy.

Flake Foods:
    New Life Spectrum Brand Optimum Fresh H20 Flakes, Wardley Brand Advanced Nutrition Perfect Protein Tropical Fish Flake, and previously used TetraMin Brand Tropical Flakes

Pellet/Tab Foods:
    Hikari Brand Algae Tabs (loaches & plecos), New Life Spectrum Brand Discus Formula, Hikari Tropical Brand Discus Bio-Gold

Fresh Foods:
    Zucchini, Cucumber, No Sodium Canned French Cut Green Beans

For the Babies:
    Azoo Brand 9 in 1 Artificial Artemia and Hikari Brand First Bites

For the Shrimp:
    Hikari Tropical Brand Shrimp Cuisine

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

My bulk food is Hikari brand in different size pellets depending on the age of the livestock

In the breeding tanks mostly live food and home prepared gel food.
    Then there is the ever popular green water Daphnia for very young fry.

Rick

3. Cay

Cay New Member

i have big datnoids and perch and cichlas . i feed them tilapia strips and massivore :D

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Frozen:
    Hikari bloodworms, BBS, daphnia,brine,spirulina brine and mysis
    SFBB on the beefheart

Flakes
    Kens

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I feed primarily kens with some frozen bloodworms here and there.

6. nossie

nossie Member

I feed mine with a variety of foods like:

Hikari Staple, Goldfish Gold and Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish, all in pellet form.
    Sera, Goldy Royal sinking pellets.
    JBL, freeze-dried red blood worms and tubifex.

I'll be buying some frozen food for them at some point, I'm pretty interested in how it works :)
    By the way, I've heard different things about goldfish and protein rich diets. Like, if you feed them with live foods more than twice a week they can get constipated. And at the same time, you should feed them with worms if they ARE constipated.
    Which one is correct? (I would love to feed them with live foods more than twice a week D: )

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

=C I wonder what they eat in the wild then?

I keep endlers and guppies.
    I feed a mix of tropical fish flakes and live micro worms. Some times they get some steak or a crushed snail. but only some times *wink*

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

angels,discus, tetras,rams,pleco's SAE's.

frozen
    hikari,fishking or discusmadness.com's mix

flake
    Kens

pellets
    kens

wafers
    kens

9. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

This recipe makes about 8 cups gel food just be careful not to over feed.
    It is very high protein very useful for grow out of young fish and wren growth

Ingredients

* 4 cups drinking water
    * 5 packets unflavored gelatin
    * 1 adult multivitamin (not mega, no added iron)
    * 1 500 mg vitamin C
    * 2 500 mg calcium carbonate supplement tabs
    * 1 tsp paprika
    * 1 tsp calcium bentonite clay (optional)
    * 1 cup broccoli
    * 1 cup kale
    * 3/4 cup mustard greens
    * 3/4 cup collard greens
    * 1/2 cup canned mackerel

Add 2.5 cups water to blender. Place the calcium, vitamin C and the multivitamin in to soak.

Blanch kale 1.5 cup of water. reserve water for dissolving the gel.

Add mackerel, paprika, clay and veggies to blender. Blend well.

For sinking food

* Pour blended ingredients into bowl.
    * Dissolve gelatin in water used to blanch kale and bring to a boil to dissolve gelatine.
    * Add gelatin mixture to bowl and stir until well mixed
    * Pour into flat shallow container(s) to make a depth of 1/4".
    * tap container gently to remove any trapped air bubbles.

For floating food:

* Dissolve gelatin in water used to blanch kale and bring to a boil to dissolve gelatin.
    * Pour gelatin mixture into blender and blend until well mixed.
    * Pour into flat shallow container(s) to make a depth of 1/4".

Refrigerate until set.

Cut into squares. I leave out a week's worth of gel in a plastic zipper bag and store in the refrigerator. The rest I freeze between layers of plastic wrap. When frozen, I store in the freezer in zip-lock bags (each holding about a week of food). You can make layers thicker than 1/4 inch and then slice it up before you feed it.

Nutritional Breakout per 10 grams food
    61% Total protein (0.9 grams)--20% of Protein from fish (0.2 grams)
    8% Fat (0.12 grams)
    6% Ash (0.1 grams)
    25% Carbohydrate (0.4 grams) (12% Fiber, 3% Sugars, 10% Complex)

5.9 Calories per 10 g food

goldfish food rules:
    1. I will eat all the food as fast as possible, regardless of the effects of gulping large air bubbles.
    2. I will stare at you ALL day begging for food. And if you put more in, I will eat it, see #1.
    3. If it is small enough to fit in my mouth, I will attempt to eat it.
    3a.If it fits in my mouth, and there is more than one of it, I should eat them all at once.
    4. If it is too big for my mouth, I will probably attempt to eat it anyway.
    5. If it is exactly the size of my mouth , I will continue to keep trying to eat it, no matter how many times it gets stuck.
    6. If it is green, I will attempt to eat it.
    7. If it has a shell, I will eat the shell too. If I can't, I will find a way to get the food out of the shell.
    8. If it has tasty appendages, I will bite them off.
    9. If I don't know what it is, I"ll try to eat it, just on the off chance.
    9a. Even if I just tried it and spit it out, it still might be food. I will try it.
    10. If I'm not supposed to eat it, I will eat it. Especially if you spent lots of money on it.

Rick

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I missed this thread somehow.

Right now my Endler's/Cory Cats/Otto Cats are eating NLS Flake and Spirulina Tabs as their staple diet. Occasionally they get a cucumber slice, crushed anti bacterial food just as a precaution

11. nossie

nossie Member

I loved that part! So adorable and so true :)

I should really try this recipe sometime! But I think I'll wait 'til I find my new apartment :D Otherwise there may be complaints about the freezer being full of fish food~

12. MOD_Dawn

well the discus community is getting NLS freshwater Flakes, Hikari Frozen Bloodworms, Hikari Spirulina Enhanced Brine Shrimp, NLS Discus Pellets, Fresh cucumber and zuchinni, and when I can get out/find it I'll get them the occassional live food.

The 20L depends on which section I'm feeding. The betta/killifish/emperor thingys get Betta Food and Wardleys Advanced Nutrition Freshwater Flakes....the Shrimp section gets Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers, & fresh Cucumber and Zuchinni....the livebearer section gets Aqueon Tropical flakes and Wardleys Advanced Nutrition Freshwater Flakes...once the aqueon flakes run out I'll fill the bottle with the NLS Freshwater Flakes.

13. islabucasgrande

islabucasgrande New Member

I have a beautiful betta splendens and he find it enjoyable to nibble at bloodworms. . I dont know if Im feeding him right but he just loved it. .

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

dawn try some mysis shrimp, my discus LOVE it.

15. MOD_Dawn

I did, mine wouldn't touch the stuff?
    They seem to pretty much just like the flake (NLS), Frozen Bloodworms, & Frozen Sprirulina infused Brine Shrimp...and of course live :)

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

Mine quit eating the beefheart and they eagerly accepted mysis in their place.

Mine are kens food junkies. I gave them some tetramin yesterday and it was like I poured dirt in the water to them.

17. nossie

nossie Member

Lately I bought some gel foods with brine shrimp, and two packs of Omega One Super Veggie Seaweed :D My fish are going crazy :)

I forgot to mention last time that I feed them with vegetables from time to time!

18. redtop72

redtop72 New Member

I keep many kinds of african cichlids and I feed them all granules from Metrofish. They go crazy and I have succes in breeding. Oh and no I dont get a discount for saying this.

19. susankat

susankat Member

My list is to long to name all the fish that I have but they all get Hikari bloodworms and brine shrimp, Kens flakes, earthworm sticks and spirulina sticks. The shrimp get hikari crab and shrimp cuisine, assorted veggies.

20. heatherine

heatherine Member

I know I keep bumping up old threads, but I haven't been here in awhile, and never did get the chance to really dig in! Anyway, I feed mostly frozen or freeze-dried foods to the 55 gal residents. They get San Francisco brand frozen brine shrimp, "Emerald Entree," blood worms, and beef heart, zucchini slices, Hikari algae pellets, freeze-dried krill & baby shrimp, cut up cooked shrimp & tilapia, and for the Jack, a mealworm or two once every other day. The 25 gal residents get Wardley Advanced Nutrition flakes. Both tanks get a little of each other's "leftovers" to keep them happy. (a couple of times a week I toss a few shrimp, pellets, etc. in the 25 gal tank, and scatter some flakes in the 55 gal).