1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what type of lighting do you use for your planted tanks?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2008.

1. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

Tank Lighting

Tank Lighting
    Want to use live plants in my 90g pleco tank and need your opinions on this light setup. Plan on keeping only low to medium light plants. The lunar light are for nightime so I can see my plecos more as they will tend to hide alot. Let me know what you think of this light for the plants.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12109</a>

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Tank Lighting

That should work fine.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Basically what I have on my 90g planted (mine has 4 65w bulbs).
    Here
    Note: mine doesn't have the fans and has a long lunar stip along the entire back, which I use as a night light so to speak (on a timer of course).

FYI Just to let you know that actinic bulb will do you no good when it comes to plants. Swap it out with a 6700K or 10,000K.

4. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

Planned on swapping out the actinic bulbs for 6700K daylights. Thanks guys!

5. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

Well changed my mind on my 90g lighting and went with the Current USA Orbit setup instead of the Coralife. Looks like a better made unit and I've heard it runs quite a bit cooler with the larger fan. Changed the 2 actinic bulbs for 2 more 6700K daylight tubes. Found a good price on it too.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1381740/cl0/currentusaorbit484x65wattpowercompactstriplightw4lunarlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... unarlights</a>

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Mines 260watt and comes with four 65w 6700K bulbs (two plugs..one for front two bulbs and one for back two bulbs), a lunar light strip that runs the entire length of the fixture (which has it's own plug and a roll switch), gum bands to hold all the bulbs in place, and coralife mounting legs for $139.00 off some guy who was a wholeseller selling them new on Ebay.
    Although it has NO plastic cover that goes over the bulbs as to protect them from splashing (I went to home depot and had them cut me a piece of acrylic to put in there) and NO fans.
    I believe the name of the fixture was actually Carolina or Hamilton... or something similar (made in USA and a knock off of the Coralife 260W Aqualight/Planted light fixture).

I too considered the Orbit..you'll have to let me know after you've had it for a while how well it works (ie. sound level, sturdy or cheap, good materials..etc).

7. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

The Orbit comes with 4-65w tubes of which 2 are actinic. I plan to change out the actinics for 6700K daylight tubes for a total of 260w. Has 4 lunar light spaced every 12 inches on the unit. 3 power cords which I'll use on timers to simulate day to night. I really like the lunar moon lights in reef tanks and thats why I wanted a fixture with them. I'll let you know how it works out Dawn.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Just so ya know...if your doing the Four 65w 6700K bulbs and using the actinics at night as I am doing you can grow the Moderate and a few High light plants. For example my Purple Cabombas are taking off like mad!

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You keep your Actinic bulbs on all night ?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yeah, it's not actual bulbs as in bulbs that are in the fixture silly.
    It's like a strip that was inset into the rear of the fixture..to me it looks like christmas bulb replacements minus the lil green base thingey...they're spaced prolly every 2" it looks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0828dawn Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:52 pm
    If you have plants you'll want 6700K full spectrum bulbs...depending on what your keeping and what fixture you have will depend on the wattage.

2.5wpg is a good range for all low light and most moderate light plants. Much more than that and you'll need co2. I wouldn't go any lower than 2wpg.

glass 65 should measure 36x18x25 or 36x18x24

heyfishiesfishies Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:15 pm Thanks again Dawn..I just ordered the light system and the mounting legs and a few other stuffs which cost more than $100. Can't wait for it to come. I might have to sleep on the sofa near the fishies tonight because my wife will lock the door on me for spending too much $$$..lol...
    As for the substrate..currently i have pea gravel on it for 6 months with about 100 guppies...I was thinking of buying "all natural organic" potting mix which cost about $7 at HomeDepot and cover about 1.5" on the bottom and put the pea gravel on top.. I read about this somewhere on the net...but don't know if it's a good idea (?) When i take the gravel out and put the potting mix in..do i have to empty the water and remove all the fishies or can i just put the mix in with water and fish? Thanks a lot.

James0816 Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 pm Potting Mix? Define potting mix?

0828dawn Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:34 pm
    hmm..apparently my reply didn't post?
    First, get the legs...if you put the light directly onto the glass canopy more than likely it will crack from the heat emitted from the bulbs (been there, done that). Also, it'll be easier to lift the glass canopy for feedings and maint.

Next, I know nothing of this potting soil of which you speak (I use eco-complete planted..no rinse and nutrients in there so no need to fertilize at the root).

Third, if you add any substrate to the existing you risk burying fry and clouding your tank. If you insist on doing it then make sure all filtration is turned off first (so it won't all be sucked in and jam your filters)...I wouldn't turn them (filtration) back on until all has settled. I'd also dose with Seachem Clarity to clump any minute particles back to the bottom.

Fourth, you can easily plant in what you have in there (sand/pea gravel) with no issues...at most if you do roots (ie. crypts) you'll benefit by adding a root tab about 2" away BENEATH the substrate. The roots will grow in the direction of the tab. IF you have problems keeping plants down in the sand you can use those rubber like plant holders (linked before through aquariumplants.com)...they work really well and pose no risk to anything (won't change parameters, aren't dangerous to inhabitants, won't inhibit root/plant growth).

heyfishiesfishies Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 pm
    Sorry...i meant mineral potting soil.

To Dawn,
    I did order the mounting legs for $13.00 something. Hmm..I guess I'll use the pea gravel for the plants then. Thank you so much!!!

James0816 Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 pm I don't know about the potting soil...suspicous.

0828dawn Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm I agree with being wary of the mineral soil, and your most welcome heyfishiesfishies. Be sure to post some photos once you get everything in order in the photo section!

11. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies New Member

low tech lighting for 55 gallons

low tech lighting for 55 gallons

hi everyone. I want to have some plants on my 55 gallons..i currently have a 4' 40w with a single light bulb. Is this good enough for the low light plant? If not, what are your suggestions on getting an inexpensive lighting system which can produce enough light for the low light plants? Maybe from walmart, homedepot or lowes?? Thanks.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: low tech lighting for 55 gallons

I think the best bet would be get a double bulb strip from homedepot, that would give you 80 watts.

right now your are running under 1 watt per gallon which is very low light plants if your lucky.

with the 80 you would have closer to 1.5 which would be good for low level light plants.

13. heyfishiesfishies

Thanks writerscott!!! I'll stop by homedepot tomorrow.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

O make sure to use the grow lights, because the light the fixture will come with will be the wrong kind of light.

15. heyfishiesfishies

Grow light? You mean check for the 65000K??

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

yes...look for 65k daylight bulbs or higher.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd go with 110w of lighting which would give you 2wpg.
    Then you'd be able to do low lights and some moderates also.
    6500-6700K bulbs would work best!
    Compacts Fluores. are the cheapest to run and they stay realtively cool.

18. heyfishiesfishies

46 Gallon Lighting Question & Advice

46 Gallon Lighting Question & Advice
    I measured my tank today and found out that it was a 46 gallon instead of 55. I bought it on Craigslist and the guy told me it was 55 and I took his word for it. The measurement are 36"L x 21"H x 12/16W. I went to HomeDepot today and couldn't find any 36" fixture. All the have are the standard 48". So i went online and and found this light from drsforstersmith. A 36" Coralife Aqualight Single Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights, comes with 96 watt, 67000k. It's listed for $56.49. Is this a good price??? And If i get this, do I need CO2? Thanks.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: 46 Gallon Lighting Question & Advice

:!: that will be 2.08 wpg (low light), purchase plants classified as LOW light
    :!: Low Light means Low Maintenance...No co2 should be needed
    ;) bulb will be perfect at 6700K (full spectrum is key)
    :!: $56.49 is an awesome deal! Don't forget to get the mounting legs (if you'll need them on your setup).
    That same exact fixture is $89.99 at big als http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...~~nc3684-def-USD-18369##0##8&query=36&offset=
    :D Check the forum for coupons or you can google for them (they usually always have something off)

20. heyfishiesfishies

Re: 46 Gallon Lighting Question & Advice

Thanks Dawn! I have a glass cover on top of my tank..so can I install the mounting legs without taking the glass off? I'm afraid my guppies gonna jump out w/o the glass top. Will it look better with the mounting legs though? Because maybe i can lower the water level a little so the fish can't jump out.