1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what type of sword plant is this?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anthony, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ira

ira Member

Looks like aerol leaves .they will die off and summerged leaves will replace them.it looks like a amazon sword.the runners need to be weighted down to the gravel ,not cut off

2. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

What will die off ? The little daughter plants have roots on them now. The plants are doing really well so far.

3. ira

ira Member

the big leaves the plants were grown out the water new leaves will grow under water they be normal sword leaves

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That does happen.... I bought a sword from that guy on ebay and the sword was a monster with REALLY wide leaves.... now it is not quite as tall (not much shorter though) and the leaves are not as wide.... also there is not much stem to the leaves but when I got it there was a bit of stem....

Im still not sold it is an Amazon Sword though.... but ABSOLUTELY correct, hydroponic Swords look different than aquatic Swords.

5. ira

ira Member

It may be a radican sword. I had one grow out of the top a 125.

6. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

it could be large leaved amazon sword Echinodorus macrophyllus. maybe 'tricolor' sorry don't know the specific name on that one.

7. Anthony

That looks exactly right (Echinodorus macrophyllus). I looked at the melon sword again and it didn't exactly match. Great job !

8. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

glad I could help

9. Anthony

I noticed today when doing my water change that all the new growth on these plants, including all the daughter plants, have elongated leaves like Amazon Swords should have. Is it possible that the lighting the fish store was using was causing the leaves to be short and fat ?

10. LemonDiscus

Mine is doing the same too! It now starts looking like an Amazon Sword again :)

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I bet it is possible, incorrect lighting can make plants shorter and more compact, etc.

12. Anthony

I thought they had a MH light over the tank, it was that type of fixture. It's possible it was just a "plant" bulb though and not an MH. Although the MH light could have been a "saltwater bulb" and not for plants.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

*shrugs*
    I know the lfs I frequent uses 10 gallons for all their plants and standard tube fl. lighting, which has always confused me on the higher light plants they carry....maybe they just figure they'll only have them there for a day or so and it won't really matter all that much.

14. LemonDiscus

Another thought.

Maybe as mentioned they were Hydroponically grown so the leaves are different because it was a terrestrial plant technically before. Then after a while submerged the leaves change back to the "Natural Amazon Sword" look?

15. Anthony

Got me. :confused: