1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What's This Growing In My Tank ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anthony, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I noticed within the last two days that there have been green things sprouting in my tank. It's not hair algae which I originally thought. After seeing a piece in the substrate it looks almost like a little tree. I have a ton of them on the back of my tank as well.

(Click for a larger image) I cropped it and zoomed in.
    GreenTree.jpg

2. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Almost looks like bryopsis. I may have spelled that wrong. And boy do I hope I'm wrong too on the ID. :confused: Horrible stuff and hard to get rid of....

3. Anthony

*Shrugs* You spelled it correctly. I don't think it's that though.

4. luvfish

luvfish New Member

There are a couple of varieties...this is bryopsis plumosa:

This is bryopsis hypnoides:

No close up of the hypnoides (sorry) but I do think what you have looks alot like the first pic.
    Bryopsis_plumosa_b.gif bryopsis_hypnoides.JPG

5. Anthony

The stuff in my tank is only about 1cm long. It's mostly on the back of my tank where there was brown algae. As that went away this stuff started to form.

6. Anthony

What ever it is/was it's going away. Most of it on the back of my tank is gone now. I'm not sure if it's because of something I've been adding to the tank or if it was just an algae that was part of the tank being new.