1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

When are fry old enough to trade/sell?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:27 pm
    How long does it take fry to be big enough to trade/sell after they are born?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:16 pm
    What type of fry are we talking about ? Generally I'd say around 2-3 months.

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:07 pm
    it is different for differnt type of fishes for angels they are mostly dime size

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:46 am
    Dime at MINIMUM for Angels, Discus, Rams...

More important than age is the fish's size. Sale should be at around the size you see the SMALLEST of whatever species you have in the pet stores. So if you see Terrors at 1.5" in the pet store... it is a good bet that is how big you have to get them out. They need to also be eating dry foods.... live brine wont cut it... Color and pattern development should be almost filled in too if not all the way colored. For larger Cichlids they should still be large enough to draw attention to them.

In the case of Angelfish (where I have experience) they were over 6 months old before I started to sell any of them.... lots of work and time if it is an interest of yours.... rewarding, but time/money consuming and you really dont make money when you take in account the food chemicals water etc....

You use the word "born" which makes me think you are talking about livebearers... in which case Anthony's timeframe is 100% correct... Egg fish take a while longer

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:09 pm
    I will have Red Zebra fry. Mom hasn't had them yet. I think I have about 9 days till she does.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:13 pm
    Born/Hatch...whatever it's called. Shes a mouthbrooder. I was very shocked when I noticed the eggs in her mouth. I didn't think I had a breeding pair of cichlids. I was wrong. I set up a tank so she can have them in peace without being picked on or the babies being eaten.
    I do have a good sized pleco with her in the tank. Will it eat the fry?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 pm
    Its all relative of fish and situation. Say for instance Angels. If you are trading them and to an experienced hobbyist, then you can do dime sized. But if you are selling them to someone who has medium to full sized angels or cichlids I'd say not a good idea. IMO, I'd say sell/trade when they are big enough to not get swallowed or killed easily by a full grown specimen of whatever species.