1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

when temp sensors go bad in your heater....

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Feb 3, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

So tonight I get home from doing a little bit of shopping with my girlfriend, we eat some dinner, watch a couple movies, ya know, all that fun stuff. Anyways, I check on all my tanks right before I decide to go to bed, so I went around to do that usual routine. I got to my 10 gal saltwater tank, and I notice that my trochus snail is upside down on the bottom. Now in the short time I've had this snail in the tank, I've never seen it just fall off anything and land like that, so that struck me as odd. I looked at the temp, couldn't believe what I saw, and felt the water with my hand. The temp was all the way up to about 95F! I freaked out! I felt the heater it's self, and it was extremely hot. I ripped the heater out of there and took off the glass cover I have on it so that it could cool down. Now in the mean time before this, a couple days ago, my girlfriend had decided to surprise me with a Pajama Cardinal, and we decided to keep it in the 10 untill we got the 75 gal (which is going to be soon btw, gotta love tax returns). So I ran to the 24 hour wal-mart that's about a half hour from our place (around 2 AM), and picked up a stupid little 5-15gal tetra heater that looks like it's probably the lowest quality heater that they make. So at the moment, it looks like I've lost the trochus snail. The PJ is not acting normal at all, he's swimming around, but bumps around everywhere and gets pushed around by the current. The margarita snail is still stuck to the side of the tank, but I'll have to wait and see what happens with him. As for any of the hitchhikers I got with the live rock, I'm going to probably have to wait and see if anything happens with any of that. Remind me to never ever buy a "stealth" heater again....

2. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

what heaters ARE reliable? I just got 3 eheim Jager heaters that all seem to have fluctuating thermostats. maybe time to look into titanium heaters with controllers

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It was a Visi-Therm Stealth Heater ? If so that's the heater I use, the 200 watt version.

Do you have any idea how long the tank was at that temp ?

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

All heaters have a chance of malfunctioning. I have had quite a few either go out like yours or loose the heating element.

Fortunately my 125 rose up to 92 degrees, and all of my fish like warm-hot water.... BUT saltwater I know is MUCH more sensitive to temperature fluctuations.

Point being all heaters can and will die... some early some late.... I dont think there is a brand or model that is more susceptible to it that another.

I bought a brand new 300 watt heater and it went nuts on me as soon as it went in the tank.... it acted weaker than my 200W heaters! Actually now after moving the tank, cleaning it, etc... it is heating right (88 degrees buddy :cool: )

5. NoctuVide

Yea, a marineland stealth, and I have no idea how long it was up that high, long enough to kill the snail. The PJ cardinal actually made it through, so what they say about them being very hardy is definitely true. With heaters the price that they are, you'd think by now they'd figure out how to make them so they don't die. But then, that's probably why they are so expensive, the companies know you're going to need a new one when the old one dies and they look at the $$

6. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

will the marineland lifetime warrenty on the stealths cover flucuating temps/unreliability?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, it seems as if the heater failed in the on position. That would be something to contact them about and see what they say.

8. NoctuVide

I wrote to them, I'll let ya know when and if they respond and what they have to say.

9. BobV

BobV Member

I hate it when a heater malfunctions, too. I just had a tetra tech stick and kill a tank full of synodontis petricolas and albino bristle nose plecos. Sure glad the CEO of tetra tech doesn't live in my town. ROFL

10. NoctuVide

wow, they did actually reply:
    Hello,

This is not at all a reoccurring problem. I am sorry to hear this has
    happened to you. We strive to produce the best quality products for all
    our customers to enjoy.

Please send it in with your name, shipping address and phone number
    inside the box.

They included their address so, I'll send it and see what happens.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Pretty quick response too. I'd be willing to bet they just replace it with a new one.

12. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

awesome! looks like I'll be replacing each heater with a stealth since all heaters tend to have this problem eventually. I'm glad at least one company is willing to stand by it's product for good.