1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

when would my peacock spit out the babies from her mouth

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by jygnash, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jygnash

jygnash Thread Starter New Member

My female peacock is holding eggs in her mouth since last 21 days, today i observed her and oh my - her lips are thick and swollen, you can count each gills and i am wondering when would she spit out the babby as i am afraid she may die out as she gone without any food.

Any help or suggestion appreciated

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: when would my peacock spit out the babbies from her mout

They can hold up to about 30 or so days. If you see fry, which you should by now, you can catch her and hold and dunk her face first into the tank. Do this several times and the fry should fall out of her mouth.

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Re: when would my peacock spit out the babbies from her mout

HAHAHAHAHA, hilarious but very very true.

4. redtop72

redtop72 New Member

anyday now, my peacocks usually hold for 20-25 days, i recomend you strip her or put her in a 10gl by herself untill she spits on her own, then keep her seperated for a few weeks untill she puts some weight back on. congrats on the fry. WWhat kind of peacocks are they?

5. jygnash

jygnash Thread Starter New Member

Well they are out now - dark blue peacock
    20 -25 of them right now,

Tip : We had to hold the female in our hand and put a ball-pen in her mouth to get the fry out. She eventually spit out all the baby and is back in the tank with ohter.

fry's are freely swiming in the fry tank.

thank you so much Anthony and Redtop722.

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

congrats on the fry !!
    do you mean that you put her back in with the other adult fish ? if so just keep a close watch on her that she dosen't get harrassed by the others for a couple weeks. she'll be weak and stressed from holding and not eating for over 3 weeks. we've kept our female with the fry for atleast 2 weeks to give her time to get some weight back on and get her strength back.

7. redtop72

redtop72 New Member

Good advice buzz.
    Also sounds like your first fry, i recomend you puy some moss or some typ of cover for your fry, this helps them with stress, stress can kill or slow down growth, happy fish eat good and grow fast.
    Another thing is I dont like to use gravel or sand or any substrate in my fry tanks, this makes for easy clean up so you dont have any amonia spikes that kill fry very easy. Good luck and keep us posted on their growth.

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

same here, we keep our fry tank bare bottom.

also good advice redtop.
    we've got several small aquarium ornaments and a couple diy bushes for the fry to hide out in.