1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Wild angels, ich, high temps

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Stellaluna, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Thread Starter New Member

I have 5 wild caught angels, P. leopoldi, and though the first three I got were free from ich, I picked up another two a week later and they brought ich to the party. I have not had to treat ich in at least 10 years, but I used salt and heat the last time I did so, and it was no problem to cure this way.

I know that often wild angels and discus require high temps permanently, or otherwise they will suffer chronic parasitic infections (if I understand what I read correctly). I have had the tank at 86 for about 3 weeks, salt for a week and a half, and the temp was upped to 90 for the past 7 days, without much change in the ich situation. Who ever heard of ich surviving in 90-degree water with salt (1.5 tbsp/5 gal)? My thermometer is working correctly. I even had it up at 96 degrees for 24 hours when one of my heaters went kerflooey, but as of today there are still ich cysts on some of the fish, with the temp "back down" to 90.

This is not a major infestation, but extremely mild. They are still in quarantine until I can solve this issue.

Assuming that at some point the ich will resolve, am I going to need to keep my 150-gallon tank at 90 as well or suffer with chronic ich? Will 82 do?

I suppose Lemon is the brain I wish to pick, but rather than send a PM I thought others might offer some input, and/or benefit from reading the discussion.

Thanks!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Have you read Understand Ich and Cure Your Fish ?

Also Please be sure to include all of the following.

pH
    Ammonia Level
    Nitrite Level
    Nitrate Level
    Tank Size
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change

3. Stellaluna

I'm very familiar with the life cycle of ich, and have never run across a strain that would survive in temps over 85 (plus salt) in 25 years of keeping fish. This is new to me.

That's why I think it has something to do with the fact that these fish are wild, and I know for certain that parasites in general are guaranteed with certain wild caught cichlids, specifically discus and wild altum angels. I believe that ich is present more commonly than we think, and it is only through superior husbandry and attention to tank maintenance that keeps it at bay. We let things slip, the fish become stressed, and ich takes the opportunity to overcome its host. In proper tank conditions with good health of the fish, the ich remains dormant.

I've read scientific articles about wild-caught cichlids requiring tank conditions that mimic the water conditions they came from in the wild in order to keep the fish healthy enough to avoid illness, and I'm wondering if this is going to apply to these wild angels. So far, they have proven to have requirements very similar to discus, and maybe I need to quit trying to treat them like they are common angels and treat them like they are prized discus. I did not expect this when I purchased them, but if that is the case, I'll make the necessary adjustments.

Heiko Bleher has told me that the leopoldi species is so rarely imported that I should consider myself lucky to have them, and I feel compelled to go the extra mile with these fish. He has not, so far, offered an opinion about the ich issue, but I remain reluctant to use chemicals to treat this outbreak.

It will make a difference in how I make adjustments to their future home in the 150, so if that tank will ultimately need to be kept at 85F then I need to start acclimating the tank for that now, prior to introducing these fish. They have begun pairing up, and I feel under the gun, to some extent. This 40-gallon is not big enough for a mated pair plus extras, and some fish are going to start suffering here pretty soon. There is a pair that has formed on an informal basis, and they have started trying to keep the other three from coming out into the open, in a classic angelfish manner. I need to get this ich controlled and remove the extra non-paired 3 individuals, and let the pair have their own tank.

For now I'm going to leave the temp at 90F and leave it very heavily planted so there is plenty of cover. These fish still tend to "spook" and crash into the walls of the tank, into each other, and earlier today I had to rescue an angel that spooked and wedged itself between the heater and the glass - if I did not notice what happened he would have been burned (he was unable to move out of the corner he had himself wedged into), so that was a reminder that these are still wild fish who occasionally freak out and are prone to panic, and who have no concept of right angles and glass walls. It is going to be a long process getting them used to the glass box.

Ultimately I am learning a lot from this experience, and it reminds me that I need to step outside the box as an aquarist from time to time, and try new things to broaden my experience. I was definitely in a rut for a good while!

4. Stellaluna

Sorry, forgot to provide above info:

pH 6.4
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - ~10
    40g breeder
    30% PWC every two days to reduce free swimming ich

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd keep up with what your doing, the elevated temperature & salt as long as it's not worsening. I tend to wonder if it truly is ich..since I would definately think with those temps that it would have ran its course already. Not familiar with Wild Angelfish and their suscept. though?

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Agreed with Dawn.... They will carry Ich till it falls off. The salt wont do anything while they are attached to the host. They wont survive when they go to reproduce.

7. Stellaluna

Whoever heard of ich holding onto a host for 3 weeks? Once they fell off they should not have reproduced and more attached to the fish. I am wondering if they are becoming encysted on the fish, and are not falling off?

If it is not ich, I dont' know what it could be, but you are right, Dawn, it is not following the typical course of what we know as ich.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

also, I'm not sure if this is an option...but contacting the person whom you purchased them from...maybe they can shed some additional light on the situation you are dealing with?

9. LemonDiscus

Are you sure it is ich and not a slime coat disease or illness?!? I had discus with something that looked like ich but really was not.... it was an excess slime coat excretion. Dont get me wrong... it is dangerous for the fish but it is not ich...

10. Stellaluna

It does not seem like that - it is not really on their bodies at all but a few white grains on their fins - it could be anything, honestly - but it has the classic appearance of ich.

I took Dawn's good advice and spoke to the LFS owner (Keith) who imported them. He used "Quick Cure" to deal with the ich they had when he got them in, which obviously did not completely do the job, because it returned. He swore they had no ich on them when I got mine (anyone who knows him knows he can get defensive very quickly and then you can't really discuss anything with him) but I know they did, because I thought to myself that I could quite easily cure it! They had just one dot on a fin, and I did not think that would be any big deal.

He has more in, by the way! I told them they were definitely P. leopoldi, and of course you can guess his response... "I already knew that.." lol But they are still marked "Peruvian Scalare" on the tank. What evs!

I will look into other ailments that could be presenting similar to ich and see what I come up with. Other than the spots, they are behaving very normally, eating well, growing larger, etc.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm glad to hear in all other aspects they are doing well, definately keep me posted on how they are progressing and hopefully IF it is ich...it will be disappearing very shortly. Sounds like they are in better hands now anyways...funny that they guy KNEW they were a different type of angelfish than what the tank was marked BUT didn't take the time to change the incorrect label. But it sounds like you know him VERY well and trust him so I'll leave that one be. Lol!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

How are the wild angels doing Stellaluna?

13. LemonDiscus

I was wondering too???

14. Stellaluna

Sorry to leave you hanging! The angels are doing great, though they still have white spots! I treated them for almost a month with high temps (93F) and salt, and then treated them for a week with Quick-Cure out of desperation. Nothing changed.

At some point in their treatment I removed all plants and decor from the tank to make siphoning the substrate and doing PWCs easier, and to give the cysts fewer places to land and multiply. The fish were extremely unhappy in this bare tank, constantly huddled in a corner, spooking every time someone walked into the room. They were extremely stressed living like this.

I finally decided to just move them into the 150 and be done fretting over this "ich" that I don't think is really ich. How could it be? They had very thorough external parasite treatment.

They have been in the 150 now for almost 2 weeks and could not be happier. They do not hide when people approach, and even when I lift the canopy to feed them and put my hand in the tank they do not hide. They are gorgeous and growing. The white spots they have do not change, so I do think it is some kind of permanent scar or encysted parasite, but since they had a very complete external parasite treatment I don't think there is much else to be done. The spots are not spreading and other fish in the 150 do not have any sign of it, and the angels are doing just great, so I am leaving well enough alone. They have been showing pairing-off behaviors for a good while now, even in quarantine, but there seems to be enough room in the 150 for them to live together just fine. I am sure this could change, so I'll just watch them.

They are not eating enough Endler's babies to suit me, though! There is still an overpopulation of tiny fry in that tank, but the numbers are lower. Over time I hope they will work their way through the tank and handle the excess as they grow and their mouths get bigger.

I will post pics of the tank when I get a chance.

15. LemonDiscus

Glad to hear it is going ok.

I think it is a slime coat overproduction. I have this from time to time with my Discus and I just leave them be and it goes away. It seems to be a thing that is stress related and higher stress levels make it worse.

A few weeks ago about 3 of my Discus got this white coating on them and I left it be and 2 days later it was gone. It is not Ich in my case, you can see if you look it is an excess slime coat.

I feel that is what it is in your case too! Discus and Angelfish are SO CLOSELY related that many of the issues that 1 has the other species has too.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Glad to hear they are doing well, I was fearing the worst.
    I agree with leaving well enough alone...if it ain't spreading to the others I can't imagine it being ich. Plus as you said they are growing and eating so that there tells me its nothing major!
    Thanks for cluing me in on how they are doing. Love to see the photos once you get a chance :)

17. Stellaluna

I will try to get some decent shots tonight - I still have very random luck with photography!

If you were to walk up to the tank you'd think the angels had ich. It looks exactly like that, with no haze or milky appearance. This is only on their fins, btw, which are otherwise clear and healthy in appearance. I have trouble keeping individuals straight, since their stripes, spots and operculum colors change like a chameleon with their moods, but I think I might see a few new ich granules, or whatever it is. I will keep watching them and try to get a pic of an individual fish so you can see what I mean.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Okie dokie. I'm just glad to hear they are doing well in all other aspects.
    <--Anxious to see a photo once you get the chance.

19. Stellaluna

Yes, I am long overdue... :oops:

Here's a crappy pic, but the fish are happy as can be. Now on the lookout for some red phantom tetras - would like a decent school of them, which would go well with the green of the plants, and they come from the same waters as the angels.

ai96.photobucket.com_albums_l168_EWrightB_aquarium_Leopoldi_050909.jpg

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow! Very nice looking. I love your tank and the fish are beautiful. (envious if you can't tell). haha!