1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Wild Snakehead And Fry - Thailand

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by block2, Aug 12, 2011.

1. block2

block2 Thread Starter New Member

Hi All,

There's a beck/stream that runs down the side of our home, most of the year it's dry, it's a runoff for when the village lake floods, but after the floods and the water subsides theres usually small pools left, which eventually dry up. I managed to capture a few photos of a snakehead and it's frys...

You can see the Snakehead below the white bag and it's fry above the white bag..there where hundreds of them, a beautiful red/orange in colour.

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr65_block2_photos_SNfry.jpg

Here the Snakehead is to the left of the bag with the fry to the left of the Snakehead.

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr65_block2_photos_SNfry1.jpg

Where ever the fry went the Snakehead was not far behind, if any other fish came near the Snakehead would chase them away...here the Snakehead is surrounded by it's fry.

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr65_block2_photos_SNfry2.jpg

Here the Snakehead is to the left of the bag once again and it's fry above it.

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr65_block2_photos_SNfry3.jpg

I asked Wan what would happen to the Snakehead once the pool dried up and she reckons it's digs an hole in the mud and burys itself until the next floods come...this year though we had more rain just before the pool dried up and the beck/stream filled up again and I never seen the snakehead and fry again...so I imagine the snakehead and its fry ended up further down stream in a bigger pond somewhere.

Regards
    jeff & Wan

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Thats nifty! Thanx for sharing the story and pictures ^^