1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

will a paradise fish kill small harliquin raseboras??

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by cherryblossom-98, May 10, 2009.

1. cherryblossom-98

cherryblossom-98 Thread Starter New Member

I recently got a paradise fish as a gift from one of my friends, i had 5 harliquins but ever since i have introduced the paradise fish they have been dying one by one i now only have two and have had the paradise for less than a week! [cussing]
    just wondering if you think thats the case or if it is just disease/bad luck in the harliquins...
    thanks! ;)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Paradise fish can be nasty and are semi-aggressive. Without knowing your water parameters one can only guess that it is possible for the paradise fish to "attack" them. Best way to tell is by the fish corpses...Diseased fish will show signs such as white spots like grains of salt, white tufts that look cottonyish, torn fins, mouths open as if were gasping, etc.

Additional info such as parameters of water & condition of corpse would be most helpful in helping you figure it out.

3. cherryblossom-98

water parameters are fine.. nitrite 0ppm nitrate 15ppm and ammonia 0ppm
    one i found too late and had already been devoured (only white skeleton left)
    and one was still whole with no signs of disease except from ripped fins (think from attacking rather than fin rot)
    thanks

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

just curious...what is your ph and water temp maintained at. (tetras, at least in my experience...do better in warm tropical<78F> acidic water <mine are in 6.0>)
    If it's from the paradise fish you should see him nipping or chasing them around the tank. Take a few minutes to peek at the tank when the lights are off to make sure he's not a night time stalker. Lol.

As said before, they can be semi-aggressive (paradise)...especially when it comes to their so-called claimed section of territory within the tank and as with MOST fish...cam eat anything smaller than them.

Sorry to hear about all your losses and that your having such a rough time.
    The paradise fish are quite a beauty to look at, and the tetras are always lovely in large groups and provide that "movement".

5. cherryblossom-98

my ph is at 6.8 and my temp is maintained at 28*C
    he is quite lively during the day (act kinda distracts from other fish)
    but if he is the one doing the damage it is def at night...
    hes also not too impressive in colour (kinda beige and you can only just see the stripes on its body)
    anyhoo thanks!!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

your welcome, sounds like you may have a female. Readings and maint are good...so I'd guess that she was gaurding at night.