1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Wingless Fruit Flies

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:16 pm
    OK I'm going to be getting some fruit flies tomorrow for free, These are the flying kind.

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on culturing and harvesting them.

Right now I'm looking at a wide mouth mason jar with some fruit like apples or bananas in the bottom, with some type of cloth inplace of the metal lid.

Also these are going to be outside because I know my parents will kill me for raising flies inside.

thanks.

2. drazzill

drazzill New Member

Re: questions regarding fruit flies

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:51 pm
    i used to culture the wingless ones in glass Sobe bottles and for a top i would use womans nylons with a rubberband, but i would buy the medium for the culture from carolina biological, and it would consist of instant mashed potatoes and some kind of mold inhibitor , which would turn the medium a pale blue, you prolly can use bananas , but i would imagine they will mold quickly. And if i remeber correctly you want to keep the culture around 65-75 degrees and in the dark, good luck hope this helps a bit

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm
    OK thanks.

4. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:23 am
    Yeah we did this in Biology and there was some type of blue stuff at the bottom of the tube, and then some plastic mesh type stuff coming out of the blue stuff (I'm guessing the mashed potatoes stuff). I don't know what the real purpose of the mesh was, but it must have been important. My last school was a community college, and I know they weren't just wasting money on plastic mesh. We did it to see the genetic outcome of the different eyes and stuff. At the end, a lot of people put theirs to sleep, but I let mine go outside. Somewhere, their little happy fly offspring are living happily. Awww.

5. drazzill

drazzill New Member

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:54 am
    the plastic mesh is used to give more climbing room for the adult flies

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 pm
    they sell them at my petsmart but dont want to risk droping the tube and having 50 flies lying around

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 am
    Uff , if we leave a pack of there are 50 flying around too

Only catching to do! :)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:32 pm
    umm...I know my lfs sells wingless?