1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Working on my own strain of guppy. - Journal and discussion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: Working on my own strain of guppy. - Journal and discuss

Thought I read this as you were giving up. Glad to see you continue with your efforts. Just remember when doing things like this, that there will be many, many speed bumps along the way. But the end product is well worth it.

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

Yea.
    I was just really frustrated and I say things I don't mean when I'm upset >.>;
    My girlfriend was supposed to be back at college sunday night. I stayed up all night with a friend, worried about her since her mom's car wasn't too stable. So, when I finally did get some sleep, she should have just been getting there, since I received no call I decided things were good. I called to double check, only to find she hadn't left. It was 7 AM. Her classes start at 8. So, she missed two tests that day. She din't make it here till 5 AM Tuesday morning. Her mother is a meth addict, so you can guess what the hold up was. I hate her mother in ways I can describe on here due to the "family friendliness" of the site. I could tell you guys stories that you wouldn't believe.

3. MasterBlue

So, bought new Females yesterday.
    A mixed set of "Moscow Blue", and "Blue Delta".
    The only difference in the females is a slight difference in the fin shape.
    I know it's a bit irresponsible to try to just toss in a mixed up set of fish and expect to get anything good looking, but that's what I'm doing =P lol

I've decided to name my two partitions "Type A" And "Type B"

Type A
    Type A is where the breeding is actually monitored.
    I Have a Black Bare Endler Male, Male Bottom Sworded Japanese Blue(I want more of these), my Blue/Tiger Cross(female), and newly added Blue Delta female.

Type B
    I've chosen not to monitor this side till later. I'll let a few drops go by and only select the ones who stay. That'll really be it. After I get everything in order I'll start to monitor these a bit better, but till then, I really can't. Would require too much space I simply don't have.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Here ya go (might give ya easier ideas)

5. MasterBlue

I do want to do that, but can't right now. Still in the parent's house.

6. MasterBlue

Step dad said he would see.
    He'll do it. I know he will.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice, In a basement I'd defin do the brick with wood basically laid over it method.
    A) because it'd be cheap
    B) because it wouldn't be permit (could easily take apart)

Any other room and it'd have to be something more classy looking or it'd drive me nuts!

8. MasterBlue

lol
    I've got a room. Don't see basements too much when you dig 3 feet and hit water, lol

9. MasterBlue

meh.
    gone for a few days and all the fry decide to cross the boundries of the screen =/ I knew this wasn't gunna work!@

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what kinda screen did you use? (if it's the kind I'm using and it's doubled..wrapped around front and back side I can't believe the guppies snuck through!). The only thing that penetrated my divider was a pangio loach- and I never figured out how he got over/under it. Lol!

They (guppies) must be master escape artists!

On the plus side you've probably gained feeder food, or at the very least some interesting colors for your next drops.

11. MasterBlue

The fry are the ones who are doing it. They slip through the sides of it, Between the glass and egg crate.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sorry to hear, while mine was up it was so tightly against the glass that I had to "arch" it as I cut it too snug to put is straight across as a normal divider would work.

13. MasterBlue

Thats one of the things I don't get... Most of them are ached like that... I guess it don't really matter.
    I'll likely give up on my own fancy breed and just shut up and enjoy the fish I get regardless.

14. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

is there a chance that they went over the top, between top of divider and hood ?

15. MasterBlue

With 4 inches of air, I really doubt it.

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

Well hang in there. As mentioned, every project always has its ups and downs. I deal with this on a daily basis with my shrimp projects. The biggest thing is to not let it get to you. To use an old military phrase....FIDO! :)

The reward is always worth it in the end.

17. MasterBlue

Thanx. I needed that =3

Between everything in the tanks, and car trouble, and financial problems, and so many other things, I just want to not have to worry about stuff for a little while...
    But I'm not tossing in the towel, at least not yet =P

18. MasterBlue

Renewed interest, so I treated with some frozen brine shrimp and removed all the females that were showing black tails. (Pet store bought to supplement my lack of females. I also got one of two that actually sport the blue I wanted with them, those are still in the breeding tank)

I'll try to get some images up soon.

19. MasterBlue

Some "note" worthy stuff for the day
    Aside from the newborn fry, the fish are being kept in the zones they grow in. That said, I've seen most fry migrate to the large colony where I've got the most diversity. It's also the largest space with the most adult fish.
    The Tiger Endler's don't seem to have made any drops in quite a time. This concerns me. The few fry I've seen in there recently did not stay there. Either went to the Larger pool, or less likely based on history, got eaten.
    The partition that is set up for my Sword tail variant of the blood line I'm trying to scramble together has a few fry. Male jap. Blue seems to eat fry, so I've added more cover. Fry from this side do migrate into the other partitions. So far, this side has had the most total drops, but smaller fry numbers. Fry not expected to be related to any males in this side. Culls expected soon.

Parents have camera, so I can't get any images for now. I may select a few fish and make a youtube post on them, placing them into small jars for viewing purposes.

20. MasterBlue

About 20 baby marbled cray set loose today. (In the tank, not in the wild =P)
    If any survive the pecking of the fish, then they have earned the right to live in my tank. If not, then they make a great fish snack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.