1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Working on my own strain of guppy. - Journal and discussion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Re: Working on my own strain of guppy. - Journal and discuss

I did a similar project back in the late 60's but ended up with 20 10 gal tanks full of guppies and 4 years of studying fish genetics. LOL Please keep your faith going, it's tough but in the long run even if you do not get what you expected you still have the knowledge and some beautiful fish along the way.

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

=3
    Thanx ^^

Today I'll be doing some large water changes, I've been unable to do them properly for a while, and it's starting to hurt the fish (well the pet store bought ones any who). So 75% water change in the free for all tank, and in the divided selective breeder tank an 35%.

After, if no one gets in my way, blood worms for all! =D

3. MasterBlue

I lost like 100 Malaysian trumpet snails, 2 fry, and a few shrimp, but other than that, no other sucked out fishies.
    I call that a win, but will morn those lost.

Lights out, once everything settles down, I'll feed those worms I promised.

4. MasterBlue

I managed to convence a friend to come take images for me.... Trouble is she is very stuborn about the flash, so really the coloration is aweful, but here it is; the up-to-date images of my current "stars"

Japanese Blue (Bottom Sword; PetCo)
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_Christina_0.jpg

Blue X Tiger Endler
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_Christina_02.jpg

Blue X Tequila Sunsise(red) x Tiger Endler
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_Christina_03.jpg

5. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

I just love the Japanese Blues. I have a nice group of these and they spawn all the time. I sell about 40 a month. and still keep my colony up to about 50 or so.

Jeff

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

photo 3> wow, she has nice color for a female. I find it hard at most Petco's to find ones with such nice coloration to their fins.

7. MasterBlue

I'm quite proud of her, best looking female I own.
    I just wish the drop would have had a male too, haha. It was the first drop from a young female, and so there was only one fry; the female.

I'm trying to get more Jap. Blue's. What fin variety do yours have and would you ship to Louisiana?

8. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

Mine looks just like your male Swordtail. Just a really metallic blue with black spot and slight red line. When the weather is warmer and i get a few more grown out i can ship. It is way to cold to ship right now.

Jeff

9. MasterBlue

I can agree with that.
    Keep me in mind =3 I'll need a few females and at least one more male.

I decided to cull 2 bent spine fish today. Noticed them a while back, but hoped they would grow out of it... Never had and bent spines before =/

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

You need to figure out which female threw the bent spine fry and take her out of the mix. Her genes have too much mix and her offspring will be keep getting worse with each generation.

11. MasterBlue

I wish it was so simple =/
    Since this tank isn't kept a specificly close breeding program and since the fry cross the borders, it could be any female in the tank, onto of if they came over the gap between tanks then it could be any of those girls too (I do have an idea of one girl it could have been, but I culled her a few weeks back.)

12. MasterBlue

Saved a few Cory Eggs this morning. Again, going to try to hatch, only this time I'll keep an eye on them and put them into something they can't be eaten out of!

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I used a seachem "the bag" bag for them...then when they hatched released them into a empty tank with a heater and sponge filter.

Good luck! (all the ones I saved made it and are now living the life in the 90g)
    <--likes the cory crew :)

14. MasterBlue

So, I have an odd number of "Endler" in my tank. Looks like a few females were holding onto the male endler's dna for this drop. So, this is a good and a bad thing; I am trying to breed some sword tail variations, so this will help me do that, or so I hope, but if the male endler's out number the male guppies, being smaller finned and faster, then it's less likely that I'll have offspring that I'm gunning for. So, if I see there is a problem in a generation or two, I'll pull these endler's and rehome them.

I'm also seeing some gold finned fish.
    I've got red, black, and blue. Maybe a touch of yellow, but not gold. This is both interesting and perplexing. I'm concidering removing them to be placed into the main breeder tank; since it's got a better heater, they'll grow a little faster.

15. MasterBlue

My male tequila sunrise guppy died suddenly... Yesterday he was acting normal.... With this said, I no longer have to worry about him altering the bloodline, so at least there is that.... But still... I'm gunna miss him =(

Other fish seem normal... But I'm gunna keep a close watch on the tank....

16. MasterBlue

Culled a few fish in a panic. They had frayed fins. This was not present earlier today. Also culled bent spines and one who couldn't swim (looked like it was doing death rolls). Yep. My world IS falling apart.

17. MasterBlue

Currently redesigning the tank on paper (images to follow), so I'm not gunna have any more work placed into the tanks till the new stand is built and I actually have real dividers in place. Aside from regular tank cleaning and feedings, that is.

18. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Your world wouldn't fall apart if you took your time and used patience. No impulse buying and read up on things before you do them. I understand your still young in the hobby but at least you can look things up on the internet. With that said I think you can pursue your goals with the guppy breeding just take your time and be patient.

19. MasterBlue

I meant the stand =P
    The tank is collapsing the one it's on, so I gotta get a new one. I'm thinking of a custom job with space for the 40 gallon, and three 10's. Should be ample space to do this thing right, lol.

20. MasterBlue

And, uh the "my world is falling apart" bit was also being connected to my tire blowing out and my car in the shop, haveing to take a loan, and my job cutting my hours really bad... I'm not even gunna make enough money to pay off the loan and car insurance in the same month XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.