1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Working on my own strain of guppy. - Journal and discussion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

Re: Working on my own strain of guppy. - Journal and discuss

The Juvenile's have started to color up. A good sign.
    Breeding and feeding is also normal.

So, at this time things are looking great. But I'm not going to be so easily convinced all is well. Not yet.
    I might try to snag a few images tonight.

2. MasterBlue

Health continues =3
    I've started to return to normal feedings, I added my Blue Pearl Shrimp(they still look white to me, so I think I got jipped.), and I'm starting to decide my next breeding moves.

And also, for my birthday a friend on mine is gunna buy me the most amazing piece of drift wood I ever did see for the 50-something gallon!!! <3

3. MasterBlue

Wood added to the tank. Yes, I cleaned it and boiled it some. I want the tannins in the water =C

4. MasterBlue

Unrelated, but on the same page: One of my Tiger Endler's have a weird condition... She has two "worm" looking things comeing from her chin, and she's lost lots of weight, and her back is sinking, like her body has started to alter.... She was with the Tiger Endlers, so I'm not sure what it could be. She spends most of her time running into the glass, traveling up and down it in a straight line. She does eat, or at least looks like it. As soon as I noticed her new form I removed her and placed her in the 1 gallon... I'm concerned about it being contagious and spreading, or maybe it could just be some sort of other illness. What are your thoughts guys?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can you take picts?

6. MasterBlue

If I could find my sd chip I could... But really, I doubt she would stay still for you to see anything... She's very over active.
    But who knows, if I grab her and put her into something then use my webcam I might get a video of it I guess?

7. MasterBlue

Cory spawned this morning. Cool =3 Saved most of the eggs.
    Actually, they contine to spawn. But I'm not sure I'm going to care enough to save any more eggs! lol

Other fish health remains well. Everyone is eating and not a single sign of illness. I'll continue to keep a close watch on the tank. I'm still not convinced that they are safe yet.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

spawnings a good sign!
    <--loves me some cory eggs! Wish mine would spawn again and I could "capture" the eggs before they get eaten.

9. MasterBlue

lol, yea.
    Mine spawn once a month or so. They're still all quite young.
    So far I've managed to raise one from egg to juvenile. =3 I'm quite proud.

10. MasterBlue

The heater appears to have stopped working correctly in my 55 gallon.... Fantabulous.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I swear if I get more than 6mos from a heater I'm doing my happy dance!
    if it's an aqueon you can contact them and they actually appear to stand behind theirs and will even send a replacement free of charge (or at least they did in my case).

12. MasterBlue

Heater removed, putting my spare (for a 20 gallon) in for now. I think I got like a month at best from this one.
    And, those fish that I've been watching stay healthy? A few started to have closed fins-- first sign something is wrong. So I added some metholyn blue and did a 50% water change on all my tanks. If fish aren't looking better tomorrow then I might remove them.

If the illness comes back I'm going to take all my tanks down and get rid of all my fish and shrimp. Then I'll either start over or sell all my stuff.

In the 55 gallon- two of my females have a sort of brown growth in there mouth. I'm wondering about if it's from no heater and high tannins? Removed them and placed them into the quarantine tank. A side note; the Tiger Endler's have always had health problems. From the day I got them. So I'm really starting to wonder if getting rid of them and getting some higher quality ones wouldn't be a bad idea. AdrianHD has some like I have, then some that are red, and now some that are white. I may look into them, the white ones that is.

Cory eggs are looking good still, sort of wondering if the cory that are still ok... In the 55 gallon. The guppies that first got sick were the tank mates of the cory. Cory never seemed to get sick, but they do a good deal of staying hidden under the wood during the day, and I've got a good deal of stuff that blocks my ability to view them.

And one more thing; I've got WAY too many snails. Malaysian Trumpets. Aqua Hut Sells Loaches, so I was thinking of getting either one of those or some assassin snails. Either way I don't wanna keep them long, since they'll also eat my shrimp, but I'm not sure how well the assassin's will hunt the burrowing snails... Any advice?
    Also did a 50% water change on this tank too, but might do another 25% once it's filled back up. (I'm useing some of that Cycle stuff btw, thanks for the continual praise of it, works wonders!)

13. MasterBlue

Several cory have hatched!!!!

But, on a bad note, my guppies seem to have all come down with that illness once more. So, If they don't get better by the end of the month I'm done with them for now. I'll go back to Triops and Corys.

14. MasterBlue

Guppies are either dead or near it. Please close this thread. If I choose to restart I'll make a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.