1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Yellow Cichlid Holding Pellets?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My yellow cichlid has what appears to be a couple of pellets of food in it's mouth that it has been carrying around all day. I didn't notice it yesterday, but this morning when I was feeding them I did. I have kept a close watch on her all day since I have been home and her mouth hasn't changed. When I can get her to come up to the front and stay still it looks like 2-3 pellets in there. I am used to them sucking up 3-4 pellets and then going to a corner and spitting them out, but I have never seen one of them carry them like this... any ideas?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: strange question

Are you sure it's food and not eggs ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have absolutely no idea.. these are the first cichlids I have ever had. My other yellow one has egg spots on his fins, and this one doesn't. But they are only about 1-1/2-2 inches, aren't they a bit young to breed?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Egg spots won't mean much... Yeah, normally they won't spawn until they're at least 3". If you want you can net him/her and hold it upside down and dip it into tank water a few times. This should cause what ever is in it's mouth to drop out.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

What if it is eggs and they fall out?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

IF they are eggs (Which I doubt because of the fish size) the fish will pick them back up if you leave them together for a bit.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I dont think they are eggs, but if it was food I would imagine that the pellets would break up pretty quickly, so I am not sure what to tell you!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Whatever it is is still in there this morning and when I fed them she didn't eat. I would have throught that the pellets would have dissolved as well, but that is exactly what it looks like... if they are eggs.. what do I do? Anything? I haven't even begun to think about breeding them and have done absolutely no research at all.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ohh and it gets better, I was so busy watching her this morning that I forgot to put the pellets away and my youngest dumped a huge hand full into the tank. So I took a net and swirled the gravel and was able to net about 75% of them, I checked all my parameters and they were good so I did a 20% water change and rinsed the filter really well. When my boyfriend gets home this evening I am going get him to help me vacuum out the rest from the gravel that I can't catch in the net. Ohhh and her mouth is still full....

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

This is a yellow lab right ?

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I think so.. it is bright golden yellow. I will try to get a good picture and send it to you.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay, that'd be great.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, it's definitely holding something. I really don't think they're eggs so I'd suggest getting what ever is in its mouth out ASAP.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok.. netted him and there is nothing in his mouth right now. Did a parameter check, ph7.0 nitrites0.25.. doing a 50% water change as we speak and changed the filter media... kind of in a panic over the nitrites.. should I do anything else?

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How long has that tank been running ? If you have Prime you should add that to detoxify the nitrites.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It has been running for about 5 months. I don't think I have any prime but I will look. I have some aquarium salt.. would that help? I did find some Start Right and sprinkled some of that in there it helps promote slime coat and conditioning. Do you think they will be ok until in the morning ? I have to work all night, but can run to walmart when I get off and look for something to help..

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Aquarium salt won't do anything about the nitrites. After doing the water change they should be fine until you can get some water treatment. Prime is ideal but if you can't find that you'll just want to make sure what you get says that it neutralizes or detoxifies nitrites and nitrates.

Did you test for ammonia ? If so what did that come up as ?

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Amonia was still at 0.

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

** update ** Checked the parameters again today and Nitrites were not quite .25 but still not at 0, I added some a Tetramin product that I was able to grab at walmart that said it eliminates nitrites and has the stress coat type protectors in it. I will check parameters again in the morning and see what they show. The fish don't appear to be stressed at this point so I guess that is a good sign, they are all still active and aren't hovering anywhere.