1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Yellow Cichlid Holding Pellets?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Oct 29, 2008.

1. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Re: strange question

I would say after looking at the pictures that your female was definitely holding eggs. Fish will breed at a surprisingly small size sometimes. It just happens. You can tell she is holding eggs by the "pouch" look under her jaw line. When the females are holding they will not eat. And you know you have a male, he's the one with the egg spots on his anal fin.

The nitrites might have been from overfeeding or it might be a false reading from your test kit too. How old are your test kits? What kind of water conditioner do you use?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There's no way a 1" African Cichlid would be holding eggs.

Egg spots don't determine males from females

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My test kit is maybe a year old, I use it weekly with all my tanks and have never had a nitrite reading other than 0. I tested a little bit ago and my nitrites are back to 0~ yay!! And upon closer inspection she still has something in her mouth. When I netted her I didn't see anything obvious, but there is something in there now, I finally was able to stay still enough for her to come to the front of the glass and look at me steady for a few seconds. And when I fed them a little bit ago she would go up to the pellets but never ate one. So now what?? Help please....

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's about 1" big right ? She may be holding rocks, or food. There's no way they're eggs, not fertile ones anyway. Like I said before, net her and hold her upside down and dip her in some water.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

She's between 1-1/2 and 2 inches, and I did net her and dunk her and nothing came out of her mouth. I tried to look in her mouth while I had her in the net but she was really thrashing and I didn't want to hurt her so I couldn't really see anything.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's hard when they're that small but you just have to hold them securely so they can't wiggle. You held her upside down when you were dipping here, right ?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, in the net with her head out of the net and dunked. I just fed them again and she still didn't eat, she will swim up to the pellet and then move away.

8. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

hey ant is it completely impossible that she is holding eggs? it could be a runt fish which is mature just looks small..Why do you find it hard to believe that she isnt holding?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

She purchased the fish from the same tank, they're all around the same size. I highly doubt the fish's growth is stunted. Typically African's don't spawn until 3"+. Nothing's "impossible" but it is HIGHLY unlikely that a 1"-1/2" African is holding eggs.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok.. what should I do, she still has whatever it is in her mouth, and isn't eating. I don't want to put her in any stress or cause any harm, should I just let it ride out and see what happens or what? I have set up a 5 gallon tank and it has been running for about a week, should I switch out some water and move her? I just want to do the best I can for this fish no matter what it is in her mouth..

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm still adamant about removing what she's holding on to because of everything I've stated previously. It's up to you though. If she continues to hold rocks for example she may up to 28 days without eating, for no reason.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How would I remove it? I don't want to cause her any harm, but at the same time I want her to be healthy..

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

When my female was holding fry I removed them as I said above. I netted her then picked her up holding her fins down so they didn't bend or poke me. Then I held her upside down and dipped her face/gills into the water several times letting the water flow through her gills until she released all the fry. It will take several dips into and out of the water. As long as you hold her securely she will be fine out of the water for a minute or two.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just read some articles on mbuna, it stated that they start breeding at 1.5", so it very well maybe holding eggs!

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

so what was the out come. she was holding. after reading this thread the problem of dipping her into the water was you have to hold her mouth open and then the fry come out. you could use a pen cap or tooth pick to do this. I would've waited at least two weeks before doing it because the fry have a harder chance of survival rate at a young age 2 weeks seems to be the best for the fry and have about 99.9% chance of life. also you would need to put the fry into another container.
    for next time which will probably happen in about another month or 2 you'll have some kind of idea what to do.
    andy