1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Yellow Labs-Want to breed, but male is scaring the female?!?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Mr UNC, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: yellow labs

Uh oh. :)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

maybe that's why i had the killfest in my tank to the point I traded them back in and took a huge loss compared to what I paid!!

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That would be my guess... More males than you were supposed to have.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wait till i go back there and give him a piece of my mind. I'm going to poke his eyes out! And I thought i did something wrong the whole time (well i did, listening to him)...I'll make sure he loses his job! And all the money I spent on the fish, rock/decor, substrate, chemicals...oh he's defin. gonna hear it now!

And I really liked them, i'm sure you seen the photos of them I posted before...they were soo pretty (I liked the orange ones and yellow labs!).

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the guy that told sold you visually sexed Yellow Labs. :)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol! He's gonna pay big time. I go to that store like once a month! and I know every one there. He'll be out a job for this.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You'll have to let us know what happens next time you go in there. Lmao

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oh I will, cuz thats crap that he purposely gave the wrong info...causing failure in compat. of the fish that I purchased their. I mean I spent hundreds of dollars there by the time I bought the substrate, rock/decor, fish, spec. chemicals just for that type of fish....it really makes me mad!
    He knew I'd be forced to trade them in (if he actually knew anything about them, which he claimed he did)...When I goto the mgr he knows me and knows that I know all of his employees and will hear about the inaccurate information and the THANKS for nothing of "taking them off my hands" while I sat looking at all the money wasted. I'll make sure to go on the weekend when they are completely full so as to make others aware that this worker gives out inaccurate information just to make a sell and to make sure U don't listen to him unless you want a slaughterfest on your hands or a pitiful few cents for a fish that you paid $$ for.
    From what they make off me in a year they better do something about this schmuck!

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) I wish I could see this when it happens.

10. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Sounds like Dawn is a little fired up!!! :)

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea! Grr.
    Maybe it's cuz I hate being ripped off, or could be a combo of that and feeling like crud.
    Welp I'm heading to bed hopefully! Nite Jrow, I'll hopefully see you on tomorrow :)

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Talk to ya then! I'm going out tomorrow to get some rock work for my new tank. I'll keep you guys posted with pics when I get them in.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds great! Aim for more natural looking rocks in the browns/greys....IF your aiming for a more natural tank.

14. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Will do!!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

For the one that wants to know how to sex the Yellow Lab. If you look at the bottom back fin you will see black spots. The ones with a lot of spots are males and the ones with few spots are females, but you are not going to beable to sex it until it is 5-6 in long. And you need 1 male to 4-5 females. The male is known to kill all the females but 1. It is survival of the fittest.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have also found that the males have a thicker black stipe. At least mine do...LOL!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Its up to you to research the fish before you buy it. Dont blame others ecause you failed to do your research.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oh I will blame others. When they work somewhere such as a fish store and speak like they are experts they represent the business in whole. Hence it ties back to the manager for being sure they are properly educated in what they are "selling".

I feel if they don't know what they are talking about they should be upfront and say so...they can always find another worker more versed or suggest a book for reading.

19. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

So while we're on the topic of sexing cichlids do the egg spots really determine whether or not you have a male or female? I've also heard that the females have the nice color and the dark black stripe and the males have the duller yellow color on the labs.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have 2 females to 1 male the males get there black anal fins at about a 1/2 inch.... I have over 40 fry in 3 different tanks... i wish I could get them to stop breading...lol..