1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

young jack dempseys

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by kwheeler91, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

i have some young jds on the way and i was wondering if there are any foods they especially like or any foods that will help the little guys grow faster. havent had a lot of experience with cichlids yet up until now its all been hypothetical knowledge so if there is anything that has worked well for anyone else that has kept these guys.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What are you currently feeding the adults ?

3. littledane

littledane Member

i started feeding my fry haikari first bites then moved them to just basic flakes. they seem to have taken to the flakes very well.

4. kwheeler91

;) i meant about 1/2inchers, but thanks for that info too :D i was also trying to find what to feed the fry once a i get um grown out and paired up. what i meant was are their any foods that jack dempseys like especially well?

5. littledane

littledane Member

my adults eat basic cichlid pellets. im not sure of any dempsey specific food if thats what you are looking for.

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

like littledane said, cichlid pellets works fine. you could also try koi pond food from tetra. if your trying to get the most color out of your jd's then give them as a treat once or twice a week : fresh shrimp (raw, uncooked, peeled) cut into little pieces...meal worms and nightcrawlers...veggies like peas (blanched and shelled), cucumber (no skin or seeds), fruits like white/green grapes or black cherries (no skin). hopes this helps.

7. kwheeler91

ill have to water my lawn and catch them some worms :)
    and what does blanched mean?

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

warm up the peas in distilled or tank water until they get nice and soft and then take the shell/skin off, what you want is the mushy insides. peas will also act like a laxitive so they'll poo alittle more. i wouldn't advise getting worms from your lawn unless you know for certian that it hasn't been treated with any lawn care chemicals (weed killer, fertilizer, bug killer, etc.) or any surrounding lawns. get your worms from a lfs or bait shop.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

water changes help to ;)

10. kwheeler91

WHAT!? you mean ill have to pay for my fish food?!?!?!!?! [cussing]

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol no just mooch off ur moms grocery ;)

12. kwheeler91

haha thats so funny... yet so true...

13. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

or if you do buy it proball gonna be less then 5$ lol

14. tdauss

tdauss New Member

I had luck feeding black worms to my little electric blue jack until he passed... he was a very picky eater. Unfortunately my LFS convinced me that I could added an electric yellow and a red empress... guess it was too much stress on the jack. :( (everyone was only about an inch long)

15. kwheeler91

i would go back down to the lfs and beat that guys *** for misinforming you or corrupting you with his ignorance

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That happens a lot. Another user on this forum was just told by 4 of us that what he was doing was wrong and he didn't want to believe us because this one person told them differently.

17. tdauss

tdauss New Member

well I don't want to steal the thread but I've learned my lesson the hard way... glad I've found this forum as well... Hope to not make those mistakes again.