1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Your opinion :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by fordpwr, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fordpwr

fordpwr Thread Starter New Member

Basically what do you guys think? More plants? More fish? I’m fine for whatever criticism you have. I’m fairly new to freshwater tanks (6 months now). There are plans for a 6 foot tank down the track :D

Cheers Dan ;)

ai248.photobucket.com_albums_gg177_FordpwrXR8_100_4054.jpg

ai248.photobucket.com_albums_gg177_FordpwrXR8_100_4050.jpg

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

looking good to me:)

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I love your fish! They Mayan Jade you got there has some bright pattern to her (yes it looks like a she, I could be wrong though). I also like the sand and prefer that myself.

I would put a background on it! Black is the best with real plants.

Finding plants to work in the temperature range discus like is VERY hard to do. I would like to see your list of plants so I know what else I can do. I run the following:
    Amazon Sword
    Chain Sword
    Anubias Nano
    Stargrass
    Java Fern
    Java Moss
    Cabomba
    and something else that looks like Stargrass but red/purple leaved

Let me know what all you have. Also I would think of adding a few more plants just to make a bit more of a background of plants as that is always my goal with my tank. You may though be waiting for what you have to grow out (I am for my tank) which would make it look more empty.

Well that is my 2 cents

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Great looking fish and tank.

5. Fishy Fingers

Fishy Fingers New Member

I love it, it's great.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Awesome looking tank and fish, I would add some plants to the foreground, however, since you are going to upgrade soon I would say leave this tank the way it is and start thinking about how you are going to aquascape the new tank!

7. fordpwr

fordpwr Thread Starter New Member

Cheers guys!! Thanks for the good comments. It’s really hard to keep these plants healthy believe it or not.....it’s the temp I think that kills them, 32 degrees for most the day. Then around 31 for the night. I know it’s on the warm side :( I am looking into chillers. Because it’s a closes lid job with intergraded lights and filter, it makes it hard to cool!! 3hp aircon cools it by 1 degree lol. Not enough.

-Lemon Discus I’m sorry to say I don’t know the types of plant in my tank, which is maybe somewhat of a bad thing but ill endeavour to find out. As I’m still learning my stuff  Plants on wood are Dwarf and tall Anubias that’s all I know.
    I have added the black background as well thanks for the tip looks better! Check it.

-Uncwnells I’m going to add plants to the back as well as the foreground. I want this tank to be fully planted, full of green and stable before I start the 6 footer. So more plants and no more fish I think.

Thanks for the advice thus far. ;)

ai248.photobucket.com_albums_gg177_FordpwrXR8_Image104.jpg

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

IMO I disagree with Nelson for the first time. I would not put plants in the foreground. I will explain why. There are 2 reasons and both center around the Discus! Before I get to that let me state your temp is PERFECT! Plants may hate it but your fish love it! If you bring it down much more you WILL have disease issues in the tank.

Here are the reasons for NOT putting plants in the front. (1) Discus DO NOT like swimming through plants all the time. Very rarely actually do they like to enter plants. The main reason they go into them is to hide from threats. I have had my Discus (1 of them) for almost 2 years and it hardly ever enters the plants in my tank. So they like swimming in open waters on the EDGE of the plants.

Reason 2, Feedings. If you put too many plants (even short foreground plants) you will have problems cleaning the tank. As discus are not that fast of feeders, much of their food hits the bottom. Of course the blow the sand around on the bottom looking for the food they missed but too many plants and that makes it difficult for them to do.

I STRONGLY recommend that you leave an area of bare sand exposed towards the front of the tank even if it is just on the side you regularly feed on, and if you do put plants in the foreground keep to short ones like Java Fern, Micro Sword or Chain Sword.