1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

yoyo loach with discus

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by jrow8162, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

I saw a Yo Yo (Botia) Loach with a bunch of Discus in a display tank in LFS. I recently bought one to go in my Discus tank and now wonder if they are compatible. I know Pleco's are known to suck the slime coat off of fish. Will Yo Yo loaches do the same? Mine seems to swim around my Discus.

Other question is, will a Yo Yo loach do OK in an African Cichlid tank? I have 2 Clown Loaches in my African tank now. They run the show because they are the biggest fish in the tank. How will the Yo Yo loach do in there?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I couldnt tell you about the yo yo loach... Never looked into them..

3. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Very pretty fish. Saw one in a Discus tank at LFS and had to have one. That one stayed under a rock though. Mine is crazy. Swims around the tank and around my other fish which makes me nervous. Discus dont seem to mind but with the money I spend on them I am extra cautious about what I put in with them.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Just because a LFS puts them with Discus does not always mean they are compatible...

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

i have two in my tank (pakistani yoyo), they don't bother mine (discus).

They were actually highly recommended through one of the lfs I frequent by a guy who has always had them with his (he's kept discus for years).

They're bottom feeders (keep the tank nice and clean) & quite active (really shocked they don't spook the discus).

They also are compatible with cichlids.

in my signature I believe there are even pictures of mine swimming about.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoyo_loach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoyo_loach</a>

6. jasonG

jasonG New Member

There isnt a problem with the YoYo and Discus they share the same water conditions 82.4 Temp and a pH of 6.8.

How Big is your tank?