1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

fry announcement Board: announce your baby fry here!

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Leslie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 pm

hahahaha

well i am making a new thread for the rescape.
    look for it, I got one of the adult oblongas in the pic with his best buddy the assassin snail.

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

I remember Ben Franklin 5 and 10 in Tampa
    I got some of my first freshwater fish there in the early 60's
    Every time I got a spare $.50 I would ride my bike downtown to BF to buy something. They had these great little books back them that were about different fish specie, maybe 30 pages, you know, The Guppy book, The Molly book,etc.
    I must of had a 100 of them and The Encyclopedia of Aquarium Fish that I wore out many time over. Thank goodness for the www that changed way we share info.
    I'm still a big fan of old aquarium books

Rick

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Yeah I miss old BF's we had one in town here till about 15-18 years ago, full basement stocked as well he kept all the pet stuff downstairs.

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Yep! The basement full of cheap junk furniture (my pink blow up couch and chair) and the pet section.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 pm

yep, and 5 cent candies and models and puzzles, the good stuff was at BF. mine had major location downfall, I mean store was located in prime spot but the river half a block away always flooded the basement 2-3 times a year, the racking was 3' off the floor.

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Did you post new thread yet? I'd love to see the pic. (sorry sort of got off the subject there) (we got candy for 5 for a penny)

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm
    this is the rescape thread, I am looking thru pics I just took today again to see if any babies are visible.

Sudden rescape in my aquarium

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 pm

ai49.tinypic.com_15ogsvr.jpg
    ai49.tinypic.com_dme15y.jpg
    ai45.tinypic.com_b7cqkk.jpg

there were only 3 of 32 pics that remotely showed anything. I will keep taking pics and sorting thru, maybe the glass baby food jar trick will work.

I am going to DIY a gravel cave for them and only them tonight, I gotta make some DW for resale and mount some to slate so ill keep plugging away.

I need to find a home for my 4 black neons but then again they are a PITB to catch.

9. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Congrats!

Apparently I should have had a ugf when I had my black kuhlis. They displayed mating behavior but no babies were to be had in my perpetually hungry community tank. They sell them at walmart here occasionally and petsmart. I didn't know they were uncommon. I want to get some again because I tried the regular kuhlis thinking they would school with the single black kuhli I had left and it was a no go. Now I just have one regular kuhli left and it hides 24/7.

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm

ai50.tinypic.com_3788i.jpg

to the right of the catfish(viewers right) right by the DW there are two babies trying to burrow, they appear light/line/dark grey on the camera and blurry, its seriously like trying to take a pic of a kid with severe ADD

11. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm

I like your "sand". I never kept mine on sand either, or in acidic water. Low and behold, neither did the one other breeder in that article. Maybe its time for people to rethink how to breed these fish.

Come to think of it, the only thing I supposedly do "right" is to keep a cycled tank (and I use cheap underwater filters rated for less than half the tank size).

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

They used to be on sand but breeding happened after they were introduced to fluorite. Mine didn't burrow near as much in the sand as they do in the gravel, guess the morsels of edible goodness are more readily available with stones.

13. eleanor1

eleanor1 New Member

Oh very interesting really opened my eyes to the world of fish men

14. sweetdest

sweetdest New Member

I have baby guppies that are 2 wks old & Jack Dempseys that are a wk old :)
    005.JPG