1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

German Blue Rams

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I wish the fin in the bottom picture was showing.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Why do yo say that... they kind of are

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The anal fin, I wish it was extended like the first guy.

4. LemonDiscus

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It appears to be. :D

6. LemonDiscus

What is your guess on the other Ram?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

After seeing the second picture of him/her I'm confused.

8. LemonDiscus

Same here! At first I thought it was a female, then a male, now kind of think it is a male but it does not have the extended dorsal fin spikes.

It does act like a male acting VERY territorial BUT females I read do that too. :confused:

I am almost sure the one with little black is a female seeing that tube! Why does she have it out? The other one is on the other end of the tank?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. It may be too young to have the extended fin.

10. LemonDiscus

I am almost sure the one with little black is a female seeing that tube! Why does she have it out? The other one is on the other end of the tank? Isnt she too young?

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've had young female peacocks have theirs like that, not sure why. Practice maybe ? :)

12. LemonDiscus

Well, I fed the tank again after a water change and the darker one had its "thingy" hanging out too! It was taking a poop and had a little hook hanging out! So, if this is true, I have 1 male and 1 female... :)

If I saw this in my Angels I would say 100% male for the darker one and 100% female for the lighter.... again though I am by no means an expert on Rams though :confused:

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

in your pictures looks like the top one is male and the bottom one will be a female, im pretty sure the bottom one will turn out to be a female by the looks of its side colors, i've been breeding german blue/golds for a while now and to me it looks like that

14. LemonDiscus

Welcome chinme59!

Actually they have got a bit older now and the top one passed away a few weeks ago (I think as it just disappeared)

The bottom one with less black was the one that lived and its 2nd and 3rd dorsal spikes have came up well above its dorsal.... it seems like a male... BUT I honestly have almost forgotten that fish in the tank :confused: I really hardly watch or look at it... too busy watching the Discus :D

15. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Well, I know it isn't much help now, but I found out the easiest was to sex GBR's is by their black spot on their side. If It's actually black then it's a male, and if there is a blue sheen filling in the black spot it's a female. For example, my avatar pic is just the coloration of my GBR and that black spot is black, so mine come to find out is a male.

16. LemonDiscus

I read that too... but at that size there was not a whole lot of color at all on them....

17. LemonDiscus

Stupid GBRs!

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:07 pm
    Well I found out why I lost 2 German Blue Rams over the last bit!.... The 3rd one I have (last one left) she picks on the Discus! She tries beating them up (They are like 100 times her size!) and they get irritated with her and whip the GBR with their tails..... HARD!

Bad choice in fish (not that the GBR will hurt the Discus) but it explains the others deaths if they were doing the same thing :confused:

18. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Re: Stupid GBRs!

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 pm
    wow... GBR's seem to have little man syndrome lol mine likes to chase the cory cats around once in a while, but to try to pick a fight with discus....lol The bolivian is even worse. I had him in what is now my cichlid tank, and decided to leave him in there to see how things would work out. I have the other 55 and my girlfriend 26 bow I could put him in if things got out of hand. The funny part is, all the cichlids leave him alone, and he chases them around. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they cichlids are full grown.

19. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am
    Yeah they do.... I think I am taking her back to the LFS tomorrow! Her and my female Angel as I need that 55 again for a grow out tank :confused:

I figure taking the GBR back will save her life in the long run. She got hit by about 5 of my largest Discus! She did not go after the little ones! She took on the biggest ones in the tank! Whats up with that?!?!?

Thats not "little man syndrome" thats just plain dumb!

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am
    Sorry to hear about that Ryan, I cringe at the expense of the fish and hearing of their demise. Jokingly suggests a time out for the naughty bugger!