1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Icepac's 216 monster Litre tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi, this is my 216 Litre tank, recently got this, havant realy managed to do that well planting, but im trying, if you have any comments or advice please fell free to do so.

ai598.photobucket.com_albums_tt61_icepac21_IMGA0223.jpg

ai598.photobucket.com_albums_tt61_icepac21_IMGA0224.jpg

ai598.photobucket.com_albums_tt61_icepac21_IMGA0226.jpg

hope my plants take off this time, on the right there is white sand and on the left there is white pebbles. no co2 or plant substate, was advised not to bother with this, plants now 2 weeks old, some doing well some not so well.

regards

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

One big thing, you need to get the plants out of the pots. The roots will eventually rot out. I lost a whole bunch of Downoi by doing that.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

a few questions to help with the plants,

first-->wpg of lighting you have and how many hours it's on

next-->plants that you currently have in there (Is that bamboo stalks?)

third-->now this is just me, I'd switch the items around...ship over to the sand side coming at an angle from the back corner seam of the tank --> kinda like this /
    then you could get a maybe one of those skeleton pirate guys and place him in the front right corner of the tank.

(IF your looking to create 2 seperate areas/effect you could do half planted and half decorated...or 1/2 decorated with a few planted mixed in and 1/2 open)

Now if you have about 2.5 watts of light you could have quite a few options.

Background-->I'd suggest a fast grower so that you can use the clippings/prunings to quickly fill in the entire background in at least 1 row (ie. Hornwort, Hygrophila, Cabomba).

Center-->Get a key centerpiece such as a tall piece of driftwood or possibly a nice sword plant (be aware many of them will grow quite large and branch out fast).

Front--> You can do something like sublata if you like grass effect and if your NOT dosing with excel you could even do some crypts.

If I were you and wanted to my plants to do really well I'd use a few flourish tabs beneath the substrate (especially near any rooted plants) and start with a minimum of Flourish 1x a week.

Don't forget if you get red/colored plants that you'll need high lighting,co2, and possibly dose with iron (co2=system or excel and with excel some plants are sensitive to it)

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I LOVE that stand!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

the stand looks like mine (cabinets on end and shelves in middle).
    <--jealous of the canopy

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks guys, and Dawn, im going to follow your advise and hopefully get the tank looking superb! The tank came free from a very good friend, and so did the sharks.

I'll do a move around next weekend when i get some time, should i take the pots out now or wait until then. Also should i buy them lead weights if im taking the pot off? is it hard to remove the pebbles and put the plant substate in?

In terms of co2, i can afford the basic kits for £20 or so, but i reali dont have money to spend more, also do i have to keep pumping co2 in (supporse i have to reali).

I read your message again and if i have any more questions, will come back to you, its reali late, just come back from work and i have work again in 7 hours.

thanks again.

Ice.

7. drazzill

drazzill New Member

nice set up, don't use lead weights, just plant in the substrate, lead is not good for the fish

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It's definately a sweet looking setup!
    NO, leave the substrate be...you can get flourish plant tabs and insert them under the EXISTING substrate (great for the rooted plants). As for any potted plant it is definately better to remove the pot as it will restrict growth/spreading. If it won't stay "down" then you can use plastic plant holders (I have a few packs I bought from aquariumplants.com) that I'm not using. http://www.aquariumplants.com/Professional_Plant_Anchors_on_sale_reg_2_29_p/pr1325.htm If you need some I think I have 2-3 packages that aren't open. Pm me and I'll sell them to you at the actual cost and actual shipping costs (I get an online ship discount also).

Depends on what ya plant in there. If your going moderatley heavy or higher than 2.5wpg then your going to want it.
    You can ALWAYS try it without the co2 and see how things go, but at a minimum I'd something such as Seachems Flourish 1x a week.

Sleep Well my friend.

No need to thank me, I'm always glad to help in any way that I can. I have tank rearrange syndrome and am forever changing something in mine. Lol!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hiya, i'd like some of them plastic plant holders, is it 4 to a pack? how much would it cost to post to manchester uk? find out how much it works out to be and i will send you the money via paypal.

Im going to take the plants out tomorrow and move the ship around, also check if the tabs can be obtained locally (maybe abit more money, but i fear the pants are dying. i can remove the internal filter aswel, as no longer required, the external should be able to cope now after 1 week?

have seen some realy good bogwood on ebay, so need to order that too. but might just hold my guns until i see a realy good centre peice, do you not thinkthe ship and the bogwood would obstruct swimming space of my bala's? this is thier home for now, im constanly looking for a bigger tank, say 6-8ft, but lets get this tank completed first.

notice my background falling off from the centre and the air bubbles in it? its the stick on type, not sure if the heat did that... did try to make sure it does come off, but cant do anything now.

Are CO2 tablets not any good? I understand where you are coming from the seaman florish should keep them going through the hardship, or maybe try a conbination of the two. another thing, what is the 2.5wpg? and how is it measured? can you direct me to a post or a external link so i can read up on it.

hard work setting up a new tank, but serves me right, the last 4ft tank i had was barebottom... and i only did water changes and had plastic plants, horrible!

ice

Learning is careing....

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

1 package contains 4 plant plugs and costs $1.89 (I have 3 individual packages which contain 4 plant plugs per package), shipping using usps looks like First-Class Mail® International Package* Varies $7.00 ...I'll know the exact rate once you tell me how many packages you want. Pm me.

You can leave the internal one in if you like (just make sure not to put plants up against it as they will be drawn into the intake). Sorry, I don't use the plant tabs and I used the entire pack of the Hagen Nutrafin spikes or I'd gladly send ya some.

Not if you put the driftwood about 2-3" from the back glass. Again, depends on the size of the piece and how you place it (whether it's a chunky centerpiece or a long branch like piece that stays low)

Slap a cheap solid shower curtain on the back (waterproof and mildew resistant if you do get spillage, I have doubled two $1.00 plastic "party" Banquet table covers on mine and taped them in place with packaging tape.

I have no room for co2 system, so I use Seachem Flourish Excel (soo easy to measure using the cap)...but can get pricey fast. Never used the tablets? So can't comment on them.

the wpg stands for total Watts Per Gallon. You configure it by taking the total watts of your light bulbs and divide that number by the number of gallons your tank is.
    1-2 wpg is low light, 2-3 wpg is moderate, 3+ wpg is high light.

Low won't require co2, 2.5+ should have co2, and beyond that should definately have it.

Also know the lower end of the realm will require less maintenace and the higher up you go the more maintenance (pruning, chemicals/ferts) will be needed.

I can't refer you to an outside link, but I will link you to some helpful topics geared towards lighting and plants on here:

Recommended Lighting in Planted Tanks

Questions about CO2 in Planted Tanks

The small planted tank setup guide

This may be helpful also (despite the fact that you have a larger tank, but will serve as a checklist).

Mine's just starting to get to the payoff point. Looking nice and pretty close to having the maint & additive part down pat.
    Plants are growing faster than I could imagine! and everyone in the family loves sitting on the couch next to it and "watching" the tank.

I did the plastic plants before too, I found them to get algae on them very quickly :)

ice

Learning is careing....[/quote]

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Completed phase 1: changed the ship around, moved the plants out of the pots and planted into substate. also went into the shop to get Seachems Flourish, but they didnt have any, they recommended sera florena fertilizer (with iron and minerals) was only a few pounds, they said it'll last a month, i got it anyway.

im getting some plants and Seachems Flourish, when i get paid in a few days time.

well anyway im keeping half my tank dark and half bright, not sure if anyone here has tried it. let me know what you think.

ai598.photobucket.com_albums_tt61_icepac21_4ft2403.jpg

yeh i know the background looks horried, gunna get some indian/chrismas java to cover it.

Many thanks.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hello, how u doing,

My tube does not say anything on it, the power adaptor says 20 watts, my tank is a 216 liter tank, but it only covers 2/3 of the tank. Not sure what my wpg it is.

You said to get:

bamboo stalks? properly

Was just browsing for plants and come accros this website, wanted your opinion, i presume i go for the 18" categry as my tank is 18" high, the collection doesnt have the plants you named above, local shops are quite expensive so if i can get it online i will. the collection has:

46 selected plants:

5 x Elodea Densa
    1 x Aponogetum Crispus
    5 Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass)
    10 x mini Amazon Sword
    5 x Bacopa Monnerii
    5 x Twisted Vallisneria
    10 x Sagittaria Natans
    5 x Rotalla Indica

thanks

ice.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

why keeping half dark half light?
    Never tried it but don't see any benefits to it?

I like the ship in the left corner! Looks like it's beached :)

Planting on the gravel side is good too.

not a fan of the elodea (weed) and crispus (never had luck with that 1)
    vals will be excel sensitive.

You'll want a full spectrum bulb/bulbs (6700K)

Hard to make recommendations without knowing whether your low, moderate, or high light.

I'd recommend moderate 2.5wpg and suggest any of these if so (mind you I will only suggest ones I've had experience with and found them to be hardy):
    1)Cabomba Furcata (C.Piauhyensis) Red Cabomba for your background. You could do green or yellow also...whatever your preference is.
    purple variation can be seen in my background:
    http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php? f=10&t=466&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75
    2)Crinium Calamistratum is a cool long wispy plant.
    (I have one in the front center of my tank)
    3)Crinium Thaianum or Onion bulb plant
    4)just about any crypt and most vals and anubias minding they get tall (IF you're not dosing with excel as most will melt from it)
    5)Ludwigia Mullertii (L. Repens) or Red Ludwigia
    6)Ludwigia Natans Creeping Ludwigia
    7)Marsilea Quadrifolia or Four Leaf Clover
    8)Sagittaria Natans
    9)Sagittaria Pusilus
    10)Sagittaria Subulata I have them in the front of my tank
    11)Sagittaria Pusilus (Micro Sagittaria) on net
    12)Vesicularis Dubyana (Java Moss) on net/in cup/on rock/on terra cotta stick/on coconut shell
    13)Armoricia aquatica on coconut shell

14. Aironia

Aironia New Member

holy cow is that a bala shark i see in that last picture posted? That sucker is HUGE!

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, it is a bala shark Aironia. Nice tank, huh? (endless possibilities)

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

216L... is that like a 55 gallon tank?

Sorry, my math is horrible lol

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Actually Travis, it's just a touch over 57gallons. (math is also pretty bad, CalculateMe.com)

18. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

DAWN! How dare you use other sites? We have a beautiful calculator on the forum >: (

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm too lazy to hunt it. Plus I had the tab open converting measures for the kids math. Lmdao! CONVENIENCE guido..that's how I dare. Haha!

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

The calculator on our site Dawn in up in the top navigation between "PROFILE" and "CHAT". There is no hunting??? It is the "CALC" link.....

Icepac - I LOVE that hood! :D