1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need some cichlid advice

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by logan mackrell, Sep 8, 2012.

1. logan mackrell

logan mackrell Thread Starter Member

In my 75 gallon I have mixed African cichlids and an acei, and went to pick up a couple more, and the cichlid specialest at my lfs showed me a species of tropheus, and said they'd be fine in my tank as long as I got two. I know they are from a different lake, but she said they're be ok. Also sold me a beautiful Victorian hap. The hap gets along fine, but the tropheus are fighting with my red zebra constantly. I put them in a couple of hours ago, and finally just turned the lights off so they would calm down. Will they settle down? They arent bothering anybody else,just the red zebra, but it seems more like the zebra is going after them. They were expensive, and don't want to lose them. Thanks

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

when we had our mbuna tank, had a socolofi that did not like "new comers". so what we did before adding new fish to the tank was do a water change - change up the decor a bit - keep the lights off and even covered the tank with a blanket for a bout a day. the total darkness "confuses" them some and when the blanket removed and the lights come back on they'll be more up to finding "their" spot in the tank than who's the "new guy(s)". this seemed to work with our tank, maybe it'll work out for yours as well.

3. logan mackrell

alright thanks. tommorow ill update on how they are doing. the victorian hap is probly the most gorgeous fish i have ever owned. ill try to get a good picture of him displaying his colors.

4. logan mackrell

i think the victorian is a Haplochromis sp. "red back scraper" (male), but im not sure

5. logan mackrell

i also got a yellow lab, and he is buddies with the cobalt blue and red zebra. fits right in

6. logan mackrell

the aggression has subsided a little. i reaquascaped the whole tank, and made a huge cave structure. below are photos of my victorian hap (if you know what speciesplease tell me) eating a algae wafer, and the new cave i made:)
    IMAG0050.jpg IMAG0051.jpg IMAG0053.jpg IMAG0054.jpg IMAG0056.jpg

7. buzz4520

tank and fish looks really good. i seen pics of your hap while i was browsing over the weekend and the name of it just slips my mind...if i come across it again i'll let you know.

8. logan mackrell

thanks! ya im still on the search to find what species he is. the lady i bought him from gets 5 or 6 a week from a breeder in san diego. she says not one that hes given her has died.

9. logan mackrell

could it be a haplochromis (pundamilia) nyererei??

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I wish that I could help but haps are not my strong suit at all lol

11. logan mackrell

haha thanks anyways:)

12. buzz4520

i do believe it's a Haplochromis Sp. "Tomato". check it out and see what you think.

13. HBIC

Was looking through the forum and found this thread:

90 Gallon African Cichlid Fish Tank

What appears to be the same fish is listed in this thread and it is said to be a Red Peacock

14. buzz4520

the red peacock is the pic of the top. the middle pic is the christmas fulu (now known as a Xystichromis Phytophagus and used to be known as a Haplochromis Phytrophagus), which also looks like logan's fish.
    logan, check out the haplochromis sp. "tomato" and the christmas fulu - xystichromis phytophagus and see what you think. the way they keep changing the names to some species of fish it's hard at times to keep track of them .

15. HBIC

Showing my Hap knowledge is not up to par lol

16. logan mackrell

it does look like the tomato, exept mines dorsal has alot of blue in it

17. Philsy

Philsy Member

I would keep an eye on the Tropheus they tend to be a little more aggressive than other Africans and do best in a species tank.

18. logan mackrell

yeah. thankfully all the issues i had with them have been settled. they all get along great.:)