1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Planted 5g Hex (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Recommendations for Easy Low Light Plants for 5g hex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    California Cowgirl Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 am Low Light/Easy Plants
    So i'm wanting to turn my 5 gallon hex into a planted tank with either guppys or neons. the tank has a 15 watt light. I was wondering if dwarf sword plants would work well under this condition with just gravel, and what kind of taller plants would work in low lights? My plan that i would like is to have the swords in the front, and have some taller plants in the back to serve as a background. Or if i can find java moss, i can have that in the foreground and something taller to serve as the background

GotMTs replies....HI Here is a picture of a low light 10 gallon hex tank I did few months ago. Sorry it's not a very good picture. I used java fern and anubias. I used driftwood to get height in my background. Just thought Maybe it might help.

You could also use vallisneria, elodea, or ludwiga for your background. Also Anthony made a plant light sticky you can check out.

LemonDiscus Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 pm NICE!!!

0828dawn Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:53 pm very nice, I like the contrast of the driftwood vs the green of the plants.

GOT MTS? Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:56 pm Thanks. It was going to be a guppy tank but we found out we had to move a few days after I set it up.

stevenrox Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 pm i think 15 watt should be good if im not wrong thats should be like what 3wpg but im not a plant pro so cant really help you there

BobV Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:35 pm Here are a few of my low light tanks: lots can be done with low light and the right plants. I've seen way nicer tanks than mine done with low light

LemonDiscus Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 am Perfect selection of low light plants! Looks like everything I have in my tank!
    gotmts.jpg