1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Tank Problem

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have a saltwater tank. My live rock and crushed coral always seem to get a brown substance on them that keeps spreading, I'll clean it; but it always comes back. I have tested the water several times and everything seems to be fine. Any ideas?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How old is the tank ?

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

What are your exact water parameters

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like it may be brown algae/diatom. IF it is that's normally a result of too much light or excess food (moreso the food) which would normally cause your nitrates to read high. I've dealt with it in the past--mine was due to the brand of salt (switched and did partials to siphon what was in the tank away and the problem was gone), tap waters, and even certain substrates can actually cause it.
    The hardest part..IF this is what your talking about you have to find the source of the silicates (excess food/light) in order to stop it from occuring.
    Water check: Type being used (tap, well, ro/di)? Ro/Di is best and will prevent soo many issues
    Salt check: high in nitrates/not sure? Can try something simple like switching brands for cost effective process of elimination.
    Food: Flake, Frozen, Fresh? (flake foods I know for a fact can do it, plus they can cause issues with phosphates)
    Substrates check: Any silicates? play sand/construction sand?

Bandaid would be partial water change & siphoning as much as you can out of the tank while doing so, Seachem De-nitrate placed in the filter or a Poly-Bio Filter Pad by Poly-Bio-Marine, Inc., and cutting back on food should help slow its pace.

I'm sure others will also post very useful information for you, really nice forum here :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

lol. i have the same thing too last week. i stop using tap water and start using RO water. also i got a clean up crew to clean them up. and they love the brown alge. the water change help alot. like 10% a week and u will start to c the diff the next morning. mine was all over the tank and it only took 2 day for them to spread that fast.
    FishTank Water changing color