1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

which substrate & how do I switch it out?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by alpinefish, Sep 5, 2009.

1. alpinefish

alpinefish Thread Starter New Member

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:59 pm
    OK, so I've decided that I don't like the white gravel that I used as my substrate, so I want to get some light tan stuff.

OK, story time's over...time for questions...

How do I change out the substrate without hurting the fish and my plants? Would it be OK for them if they're in an ice cream bucket for a little while?

Is there something that would be better for the plants than plain ordinary gravel? And is this stuff readily available at either Petsmart or Petco?

Thanks!

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:55 pm
    well to remover the gravel the way i did it was put my fishes in a temperary tank with their old water then took out a huge amount of clean water took out gravel emptied out all the rest of the water (will be really dirty) then add beck the water i took out then some new one and the fish. and yea their are special gravel that you can add for the plants (forgot name) so dawn should help you with that

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

A)Leave enough of the old susbtrate to cover the roots..remove the excess with a net...and then gently add new using substrate using your hands/cup from there.
    B)Do a total overhaul by draining the tank as low as you can and removing the fish (bucket with the drained tank water, aerator, and heater)...you can place the plants in there too....then you can use a net or cup to remove the old substrate and easily replace it with the new.

Once the new substrate is in there you can replace the plants...slowly replace the water that's in the bucket (pour over a saucer for minimal substrate disruption)...then return your fish.

depends..if they are labyrinth fish, it would be...as long as its kept somewhere that won;t get really cold or really hot (room temperature).

Eco-Complete Planted (not at Petsmart or Petco), Fluorite & Laterite (At petsmart, not sure about petco...rinse the *bleep* outta flourite and grab a bottle of clarity or the equivalent to go with it!)

http://www.petsolutions.com/Substrates-Gravel+C45.aspx
    Flourite & Flourite Red
    Real Laterite
    Flora-Max Plant Substrate
    Red Sea Flora Base Plant Substrate

4. alpinefish

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no.
    Eco-complete is a use alone substrate and DOES NOT require heating beneath the substrate.

Flourite & Flourite Red is a use alone (I believe the red has more iron in it..will have to read the bags on that one).

Real Laterite can be used as a very fine base (expensive) beneath any substrate

Flora-Max Plant Substrate is a use alone

Red Sea Flora Base Plant Substrate is a use alone

Also, if you check the manufactures websites they should tell you the chemical compositions of each and whether they suggest mixing with additional products.

I can vouch for the eco-complete when I say it does not alter/buffer your waters chemistry.

I used the Flourite line in the past and seriously can not recall if I noticed any effect on my waters chemistry...I can tell you I rinsed the dickens out of the stuff and still ended up with colored water for quite some time (despite doing large partials). Hence, my warning to rinse...rinse..and rinse some more and grab a bottle of clarity or the equivalent to go with it.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

7. alpinefish

thank you

8. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Has many one ever tried this? (diy mineralized soil)---> <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=51339#p51339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&p=51339#p51339</a>
    and instructions--> http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=51338#p51338

What I know about growing,anything but the very simplest of aquarium plant is almost nothing at all.
    I grow floaters for breeding my egg scatterer but that it

Rick

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your welcome!

Rick...never tried it (I go for the cut bag open and toss it in method..lol "eco-complete")

10. alpinefish

Me too. Especially when you think of having to go buy all the stuff on Rick's list...then mixing. And driving all over the place to find said stuff....I'll pay $19.99 for convenience.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd be worried that mixture would
    A) Most of it float and end up in the intake and having to be netted out
    B) Create a Mud which wouldn't be good for much
    C) Create muddy looking water that would take forever to clear

But then again, that is just me and my thinking...I wouldn't want to risk the cost to find out.

12. alpinefish

That too. All the muck clogging the filter.

I put the flourite in yesterday. Thanks for the advice on rinsing. I rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed some more (man that stuff's dusty!), then put some gravel over the top(flourite by itself was too dark-looking)......and the water STILL clouded. I added some clarity, and changed the water a bunch of times, and it's slowly getting better(I can see through to the back of the tank now). The fish survived the experience with no problems, and that's the most important part.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad to hear the fish are doing well through it all.
    Give it a few days...and you can always double dose the clarity (says about it on the bottle)...Good filtration helps too! (maybe add some carbon tempor. until its cleared up)

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Links to substrates

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3624</a>

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3632</a>

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3625</a>

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3623</a>